Meet, Rebecca...

Rory curled up in bed with a soft blanket; she missed Jess. It had been 9 hours since he had left, and she was waiting for her Skype call. When she heard her laptop, she nearly jumped on top of it. She opened it, she nearly flipped when she saw Jess.

"Hey, honey." His warm greeting felt comforting.

"I miss you so much." Rory felt her eyes stinting with tears.

"Hey, it's alright." Jess longed to hug her. "I'm coming home for spring break, you know?"

Rory hardly felt joy. March was months away. What she wanted was for Jess to be there now. She felt the stinging pounding into little droplets but closed her eyes to refrain from it.

Jess felt helpless, he didn't want Rory to cry. Seeing her so upset made him feel even worse. "Rory...are you okay?"

Rory shook off the impending tears and changed the subject. "How was your flight?"

Jess knew that whenever Rory changed the subject, she was upset about something. "It was alright. There was a baby crying for about 30 minutes, but at least there was no Lost reenactment."

Rory just quietly laughed.

"Rory, you know how badly I wish I was there with you..." Jess sighed, still desperately longing to grab her up in his arms.

There was a cry heard and Rory got up promptly. When she came back, she held Haeven in her arms. "Say hi to daddy." Rory said, and grabbed her daughter's tiny hand.

Jess felt his heart jump. Even though Haeven wasn't biologically his, he felt a strong connection with her. "Hey, sweetie." Jess waved and the little baby laughed.

"She misses you, too." Rory sadly smiled.

"I'm sorry I can't be there, I want to. I miss you both."

"I love you."

"I love you too. I'll call you tomorrow night okay?"

"Okay. Bye..." Rory ended the video chat, and closed her laptop.

*****

Jess sighed. He missed Rory so much. He stared mindlessly at the computer screen in front of him. All of a sudden, the phone rang and Jess actually jumped a little. "Geez." He scoffed. He answered and sighed. "Hello?"

"Mr. Mariano?"

"Yes."

"This is Edward Hanns. I'm your new boss. I need you to meet me at Casa Kahara for your first meeting."

"Okay, I'll be there."

"Thank you. I know this is last minute, and you just got into town but it's important that we get you to work soon."

"Yes, sir. I totally understand."

Jess got ready and left the house. He felt a bit apprehensive about starting this new job, being so far away from home. As he pulled into the parking lot, he saw only two cars.

"Mr. Mariano!" A tall, brown haired man, who looked like he could be in his late 30's or early 40's, greeted Jess as he walked up.

"Mr. Hanns," Jess reached out a hand. "Nice to meet you."

"You as well," Edward guided Jess into the building. "I think you are really going to love it here." The two sat down at a table, and Edward brought out some papers. "I'm sure Coroga told you everything, right? About Heeler and the new company?"

"Yes," Jess simply nodded. "He told me everything except what I'm actually going to be doing here...besides managing."

"That's correct-" Just then, a petite blonde woman walked in the room.

"I'm guessing this is Jess Mariano?" The woman smiled a cheeky smile, then sat down beside them. When Jess nodded, she gestured her hand. "Nice to meet you, I'm Rebecca Andrews." There was a cheeriness in her voice, it seemed as if she was a little too ecstatic.

"Nice to meet you too."

"Rebecca is going to be your new business partner," Edward seemed thrilled. "It's really great to have you two here. Both ranked at the top of your job; this is going to be wonderful!"

********
Lorelai and Luke were lying together on the couch, watching It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

"I found my mother's soul mate, Mrs. Marcus," Lorelai looked amazed. "It's so her: the yelling, the judgements, the scoffs..."

Luke just laughed. "If we ever come across a dead man who claims money is hidden away, promise not to go crazy and drive all across California, ditching any efforts at companionship."

"I can't promise anything...$300,000 is a lot of money." Lorelai winked.

All of a sudden, Luke's cell phone rang. "It's Jess."

Lorelai paused the movie.

"Jess?"

"Hey, Luke."

"How's Sacramento?" Luke wondered why Jess would randomly call him. He never did just to talk.

"It's alright, but it's not Stars Hollow. It's kinda crazy. I met my new boss and business partner today. I feel like I'm part of the X-Files."

"Skinner got you on the case?" Luke laughed.

"It's just...this girl I got introduced to. She seemed....too nice."

"How so?"

"She was so perky. I feel like my boss is trying to set us up and I feel so awkward."

"Jess," Luke's warning tone came out. "You know if she tries anything on you that you let her know you're taken. And by a beautiful, wonderful girl. In fact, you should mention it before anything happens."

"I know, Luke." Jess reassured.

They said their goodbyes, and Jess then went back to his apartment. There was a note on his door. Hello Jess! It read. I am so excited to be working with you. I can tell that it's going to be a wonderful two years. Hopefully longer! Love, Becca.

Jess sighed. He was happy to work with this new girl, but was conflicted on her intentions. He would have to tell her about Rory...before it was too late.

Sorry for the looooong wait. I've been so stressed lately, it's been awful. I have the SAT coming up...pray for me. Haha. Anyway, thanks for reading. Please don't judge any spelling/grammar errors. I appreciate feedback! ♥️