Chapter 42

The minute I walked in I saw him, in his cell and he had this half mad look on his face.

"Hi." I said once I got to the doorway.

"You left." Was all he said.

"Yeah, sorry about that, dad asked if I wanted to go hunting and-"

"No he didn't, you asked him."

"Why would you think that?" I ask hoping that he didn't hear me earlier.

"I could hear you," Shit. "You aren't the quietest person." He smiled.

"I just, I needed to think and hunting really helped." I said looking down at the blood on my hands from not only the deer but walkers.

"Here." I looked up to see that he had one of those small packs of chips. "You left before I could give them to you and you haven't eaten much lately."

"Thanks." I said sitting just inside the doorway opposite him.

"What was it?" He asked after I opened the chip bag.

"Huh?"

"The deer, was it a doe?"

"Buck, dad shot it."

"That's strange usually you're the one that kills everything."

"Didn't have a good shot on it." I said as I ate another chip, they were very stale but the salt tasted good right now.

I'll have to wash my hands later.

"You wanna draw?"

"Draw?" I asked not quite sure I heard him right.

"Yeah, I know it helps you think and you like it. Wanna draw?" He asked again.

I smiled over at him, "Yeah."

We both got up and headed to the cell Alex and I shared.

I pulled the paper from under the bed and took out the regualr and colored pencils.

"What are you gonna draw?" I asked as I started sketching out a snake coiled around a skull.

"Probably just a flower or something, I like drawing but I'm not that creative." He said, I couldn't tell what kind of flower he was drawing yet.

"Flowers are actually hard to draw, you have to get the petals to look a certain way and figure out which way you want the light to come from so it makes the flower looks realistic. Rambling, sorry."

"No, keep going." He said sitting back and waiting for me to continue.

"Every flower is different but has the same key elements. You need a stem and then the petals, and whatever else is associated with the flower you're making. Shading is key when making a flower, and the lighting has to look right if the the shading is going to work. Then the edges have to be smooth but not animated to make it look real."

"Amazing." He said still looking at me.

"Not really."

"Stop that!" He snapped.

"What?" I asked slightly off guard at the sudden outburst.

"Doubting yourself. I don't know anyone else that would be able to making drawing a flower seem as important and complicated as you just did." He smiled, "It was amazing."

"Thanks." I smirked as I started to make the main lines darker than all the the lightly sketched lines.

I started to drift off into my drawing mode where I don't even realise I'm talkingor being talked to.