Chapter 23

(Disclaimer there is going to be a lot of time skips. Within the time skips might be multiple points of view. They are all in the same time frame if they are after the time skip. That's it. Carry on.)

*time skip*

~(Y/N)'s P.O.V.~

It's been about a year since I lost the group. I turned 12 a month or two back.

Carl's birthday is today.

I wish I could see him. It's been so long.

I can't think about that right now. I can't go on without a permanent shelter much longer.

I've been in the woods the entire time.

I finally found a road. I followed it for what felt like hours when it started to rain.

"Of fucking course." I said as the rain soaked the only 2 outfits I had.

I saw a small shack in the middle of the woods. I started to walk over when I saw a dead walker outside.

Maybe the group was here. It was a long shot seeing as it looked to have been there for a long time.

But there was still a chance it could be them. As I walked in I noticed that no one had been here for a while.

It was only enough room to fit four people max.

But it was cosy.

I sat my bag down and used the extra wood that I found outside to block the windows and doors.

After that I layed down the only blanket I saw in the shack.

It was a pretty comfy blanket. Honestly comfy blankets are hard to come by these days.

I layed down and had the best sleep I've had in the past year.

It felt good at sleep with some sort of security.

I just can't believe that it's been a year since I've seen them. It hurts to think that they could be dead.

They could all be dead and I would never know.

I just have to keep surviving and hope that I will eventually find them.

No matter what it takes. No matter who I have to kill, or how much pain it brings me I will find them.

~Carl's P.O.V.~

It's been a year, give or take. But it's a year since I lost her.

It's my birthday but I can't be happy, not when all mom wants to talk about is her.

I've been trying to talk to dad and Daryl. It's weird, mom always seems to be there.

Right now we are eating some squirrel Daryl shot this morning.

Mom came and sat next to me.

"You have to realise that she is gone." She said.

I can't deal with this right now. Knowing that she turned 12 a few months ago, and I missed it, hurts.

But the fact that we still haven't found her hurts so much more.

"Carl, I know you can hear me. She is gone. Okay stop being sad and get over it." She said.

"Shut up! I can't deal with you right now. I've been trying to get over her but you keep bringing her up!" I yelled.

Making everyone turn in shock.

"C-carl, I'm s-sorry." She stammered.

"Bullshit." I said looking at her. "If you were sorry you'd stop bringing her up."

Slowly everyone went back to what they were doing, Daryl came over.

"You wanna go on a walk?" He asked.

"Yeah." I almost whispered.

"Come on." He said as he started walking.

"We'll be back." He said to my dad as we went into the woods.

"Happy birthday." He said halfway through the walk.

"Thanks." I said. "Your the only one to remember."

"No. Your dad remembered." He said.

Dad remembered? We haven't talked in days.

It's also hard to keep track of time anymore.

"She'd want you to be happy, you know." He said after ten minutes of silence.

"I know but it's hard. She was the one that was always happy." I said remembering the farm.

"She was really sad before she met you." He seemed deep in thought.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"She would get picked on at school. Just because she didn't have a mom. People thought that was the funniest thing."

He continued. "If I could remember all the times she came home crying because those good for nothing kids said something, I could have a whole lifetime of sadness and anger."

"I really hated kids like that." I said getting angry thinking people could do that to her.

How can you make fun of someone for something they can't control.

That was the only thing about school that really sucked people got bullied for just showing up and being human.

We ended the walk and got back to the 'camp', it was just a few walls surrounding a fire.

I need to be happy and have faith in (Y/N). She will make it back. Everyone will be fine.

The sun was setting when dad walked over.

"Hey." He started. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks." I said, smiling at him.

"I got you something." He said as he handed me a glock-19 with a holster.

"Really? This is amazing, thank you." I said as I hugged him.

"I want you to be safe but I realised if I want you safe you need to learn to protect yourself."

"Thanks dad." I said as I strapped the holster to my hip.

I walked over to mom. "Sorry about earlier."

"Its okay, I shouldn't be bringing her up all the time." She said.

"I just don't want to give up on her." I said.

"Then don't, keep hoping. I hoped your dad would come back and here he is." She said smiling at him.

"Thanks mom." I said as I hugged her.

"I know it's hard to be separated from someone you care about, but life goes on. With or without them."

"I just wish she was with us." I stared at the fire.

It soothed me. Watching the fire burn bright and then end up dieing if someone wasn't there.

I hope that she has someone. A group maybe just to keep her safe.

She deserves so much better than this world. But I'm gonna live in the moment instead of the past.

I have to live if I'm ever going to see her again. So living is what I'm gonna keep doing.

No matter what it takes.