The gifted

Morrigan:

I look over my people, talking a eating around fires, the morning breeze runs over my skin. Kai stands by my side as always. Ivar had gone to meet his brothers to discuss the battle plan forward. A restless night of sleep greeted me and I could see my tossing and turning had kept Ivar awake too. Was Ivar turning into the beast my goddess had promised, since being here I have seen a different side of Ivar, one I did not know, one I fear would kill his brother leading to me giving birth to a beast. I place a hand on my adnominal, as I step forwards Kai steps with me. As I walk through the camp, people nod as a greeting, I nod back, what have I done to my people, was it wise of me to follow so blindly my King. For what is power without responsibility and what is loyalty without honer.

XXX

Ivar came back to the tent his face showed his frustration, I look at him as I pull my hair from its braids, He sits down on the furs and starts pulling on his braces, he lets out a scream of frustration as he struggles with the leather strap, with a sigh I rise and walk towards him, placing my hands on top of his strong rough hands.

"Stop" I whisper "Look at me" I whisper as he looks away, his face darts towards me, his eyes are a blue I have never seen before. "What has gotten into you?" I ask worry in my voice

"My mother was killed a usurper sits on her throne, Bjorn wants to lead the army, even though I believe my father has chosen me, I am the one who is a king, I should lead" he looks me dead in the eyes, I look down and start removing his braces

"With power Ivar, the power that a king has, comes responsibility," I look up to him pulling off the brace, it clings as it falls to the ground "Yes you are a King, but you have not been showing your people the king you have shown mine, our people respect you like a king because they have seen you like a king, the people here you have only shown a cripple, so let Bjorn lead the army, but as you fight to show them the King and warrior you are" I say ripping the other brace from his leg, Ivar pulls forward grabbing my arms, his rough hands send goosebumps over my skin.

"Why have the gods gifted me with such a wise and beautiful wife," He asks, running his hands over my arms, I rise and sit on his lap

"Because your god knew what type of woman you needed Ivar, together we will be unstoppable" I whisper as Ivar pulls my face closer to his, his eyes dart over me.

"I wish I could have you tonight my love, but I fear the blue of my eyes are a sign, I might break a bone tonight, I don't want you to hear it, please do not lay in my bed tonight" I frown down at him and get up,

"I will ask one of the servants to draw you a bath, and Ivar I am not going anywhere, if you are breaking a bone I will be right next to you, we will face what comes our way together" I say as I leave the tent, I call over a servant boy "Draw a bath for the king and help him bath, tell Khal to find my after, oh and boy get me Khal now"

Khal makes his way to me where I sit by the fire, Kai sits next to me and Eilish sits between my legs as I braid her hair, she and Ardan are talking about her adventures with Ivar's brother.

"You called for me my Queen," Khal asks bowing, I look up to the tall tanned man

"Keep an eye on the king, and come to get me when he is done, oh and Khal see is you can get information for me on the one brother they call Sigurd," I say as my finger weave thought Eilish dark locks. Khal nods at me, I nod to him, signaling him to leave.

XXX

I jolt awake as Ivar screams next to me, I can hear his bones creak and brake, I turn to look at him, pain and sweat washed over his face. I close my eyes and take in a breath, I look towards him again.

"Ivar" I whisper grabbing his face forcing him to look at me "Focus on me, forget the pain, focus on the colour of my eyes, the shape of my nose, the lining of my lips, focus on me, forget the pain, Ivar, let it go" I whisper as he lets out a sigh of relive

"How...how did you do that," He asks me out of breath.

"I have a gift Ivar, one I do not show many, it's the reason I am called the shadow queen, get some sleep" I whisper as I get up to leave

"Where are you going," Ivar asks sitting up

"I need fresh air" I sate as I leave, pain shot through my body as I just leave the camp, I clench my teeth holding back my screams of pain, I have taken away my husband's pain only to keep it for myself, tears stream down my face as I fall onto the cold ground. Footfalls fall to my vision I lift my head to see Kai look down to me.

"Who's pain are you feeling," he asks sitting down next to me, I clench on my teeth again as pain shoot through me once more

"Ivar" I whisper my lips turning blue from the pain, Kai gets up and picks me up, as we walk, the pain becomes too much and I fall into unconsciousness.

I am on the battlefield once more, blood and rain mix as the rain falls, I see her the Morrigan, the goddess of war and death. She looks to me

"This man will be the death of you, taking his pain is no wise, for he has suffered all his life, he knows the pain and understand it, tell your husband to trust in his legs and you and one day you will walk as equals, but for now child be careful who you trust not all friends are friends and not all foes are foes."