Past lives

Past: 

"NOOO!" the young girls screams echo throughout the castle, as she is dragged away, her father looks on as she is dragged away by men, she has been sold, sold to a ruthless lord, a chieftain who has raped and slaughtered young woman... little did this young girl know she would cause a revolution that would change her homeland forever...

"From death, she is born, to death, she will return"

Present -Elish

My home is calling me to return, but all I have now is a drunk for a husband and a beast for a child, my queen is imprisoned, my king is missing and my prince is being raised by a woman named Torvi.

"Just tell us where he is," Bjorn asks me for the hundredth time today

"For the love of all the gods, I do not know where king Ivar is"

"He is no king"Hvitserk screams from the back, I turn and growl at him, he looks a mess, his hair unkempt, his body reeks of mead and his bloodshot eyes, he is a disappointment.

"Where is your army?"

"it is not my army, and they have gone home"

"Why," His Queen asks

"You are not the only ones at war," I say looking down, the doors of the hall open and Morrigan is dragged inside, her hair is a mess and her face show she has not eaten or slept, her eyes look dead like her soul has left her body. I jump up but I am stopped by one of Bjorn's men, she turns to me and shakes her head no. She looks at Bjorn with her head held high as she is forced to her knees.

"My people are calling you a witch, they are saying your eyes change color when they enter the cell," Bjorn says, Morrigan says nothing just looks towards him, face emotionless and eyes drained. suddenly her head turns towards Hvitserk and a smile creeps onto her lips

"tha thu mallaichte a-nis, toirt ort bàs fhaicinn agus Ivar far an tèid thu" She says her voice harsh, I frown towards her and look towards my husband who rushes towards Morrigan and grabs her hair, pulling her face backwords, Morrigan laughs in his face

"What did you say" He screams at her but she continues grinning at him, he turns to me

"She says you are cursed now, forced to see death and Ivar where you go," I say touching my belly. He turns back to her and takes a step back, Morigan rises her eyes turning gold as she stands, everyone around her takes a step back, I rise from where I am seated, I have seen this once before. I move and no one stops me, as I get in front of Morrigan, I fall to my knees and bow.

"You are a witch," Bjorn says, She smiles and shakes her head no 

"No, I am power, I am death, I am the shadow queen and my name is whispered by the dreaming and the dying alike, now enough with the cells and the chains " As she says she tightens the grip on the chains causing them to break, sending the chains tumbling to the ground before me, she smiles at me and lifts my chin to look at her her eyes are the cold grey I have known all my life. I rise and stand next to her, Bjorn frows at her and his wife rises and makes her way towards Morrigan. The two woman look at each other 

"She has fought for your father's revenge, she has fought for our people, and here she stands a strong woman chained, broken and bruised, yes she believes in other gods, but it was your father who took his son's to her, to marry her to have another throne other then Kattegat, I do not believe we should call her a witch, how many of our woman also have gifts, myself included, would you call me a witch, Ubbe, your mother had gifts, she is a Queen. Just like me, I believe her when she says she does not know where Ivar is" Bjorn's wife speaks holding onto Morrigans hands 

"Will you take responsibility for her then? "Ubbe asks, Bjorn's wife nods and takes her seat again. Morrigan looks towards the woman, shieldmaidens who join me and stand with her.

"But first tell me about your home," Bjorn asks.

Past -Morrigan

"My poor child" I turn seeing a long dark-haired woman in white, she smiles at me, As I sit in a pool of my own blood, the blade I had plunged into my abdomen still inside me, the woman makes her way towards me shaking her head "Poor wee babe," She says laying me down and pulling out the blade, I scream but the woman covers my mouth. My screams are muffled as she works, my vision become blurry as I pass out. 

I awake with fright, the dark-haired woman smiles at me and hands me a small dagger. "Tonight when this chief takes you by force, you slit his throat"I look down at the golden dagger in my milky hand, my boney fingers curls around it

"Who are you" I whisper, she smiles at me 

"I am Evelyn, and I have seen great things, sweet Morrigan, you are going to change our home forever, now go, they will wonder where you are" And just like she came, a ghost in the night the woman disappeared, as I make my way through the chieftain small castle, his first wife greets me before I enter the hall, her face is bruised, her blue eyes show sadness as I make my way into the hall. His men are all bare-chested like he is. The older man laughs and drinks, all of them drunk most likely. The older man face changes when he sees me, he curls his fingers around to call me to him, I make my way towards him, clinging the dagger as I walk towards him. my eyes cold and drained. he grabs me by the arm as I get close to him, in the corner of my eye I see his sons the oldest Kai hangs his head in shame. I take a deep breath as the older man pins me down onto the table, ripping up my dress, I can feel him make his way inside me, my eyes burn as I cry, the dagger burns in my hand, with a scream I pull myself up and plunge the dagger into his neck, his eyes grow wide from shock and fear, blood spills over me as I pull the dagger out and stab him again and again, so much that the blade of the dagger breaks off. It's silent in the hall, my breath is harsh from rage, as I look at the dead body of the chieftain. kai his son rises and makes his way towards me.

"All hail Morrigan the Chief" He screams, the men look at me confused, 

"Bow to me, or meet a worse fate than him, "I say pointing towards the dead chief.

Present - Morrigan: 

Bjorn smiles at me and sits back.

"You are free, but you will have to be with my wife all the time" 

I nodded my head, and look back towards Elish who gives me a small sad smile. Evelyn was the one to set me free, the one who handed me the weapon to my freedom, the one who handed me the key to my kingdom...