A time for war

Morrigan: 

The soft cries of Mordred awake me in the early morning. Ivar moves in his sleep next to me as I get up and make my way to Mordred, the small babe is wrapped up in furs and smiles as I lightly rock him. I hum him a song as he plays with a lock of my hair

"Mordred, Mamma loves you Dadda loves you, you are a prince, an heir to a throne in a faraway land, you are Mordred the gifted, one day you will be a great warrior who will destroy everyone in your path to greatness. " I whisper to him, Mordred lets out a giggle. I smile turning and making my way back to bed to find Ivar sitting up straight and looking at me in wonder.

"Why do you tell him such things," He asks as I sit down next to him and lay Mordred between us. The boy smiles up to Ivar 

"I'm simply telling him his fate and what he needs to hear," I say smiling 

" I fear a war is coming" Ivar whisperers playing with Mordred's small hand 

"We knew they would come, we knew, we always knew" 

"But now Hvitserk has joined their side, my own brother betrays me" 

"I know my love I am sorry"

"Eilish wants to be marked" 

"No, absolutely not," I say in shock, Ivar frowns at me 

"What does that mean to be marked" 

"A wife of a betrayer gets marked on her arm, a scar she must live with all her life to pay for her husband's sins," I say my face falling as I look towards Mordred who is asleep once more. So peaceful unaware of what is to come.  

xxx

War, many believe it is an art, many believe it is bloodshed. War was all Ivar's people lived for, killing and bloodshed. I fear this war will kill me. I have been seeing the messenger of death all around crows, her messengers. I can hear her call me to the new life. As I sit on this throne I can hear it, I can hear Ivars screams, I can hear the swing of each blade, I can hear the screams of the dying. I look over to Mordred, silent treas leave my grey orbs, as I see Evelyn sneak off, I knew she would betray us, I nodded to her as she escapes through on of the secret panels. Just as Ivar joins me laughing about his victory, his face falls as he sees me tear-stained face...

I hear their screams for Ivar, I turn to run to Mordred before they come, Elish is short on my heels, she grabs her spear and stands before me to protect me, I shake my head at her and turn to Ivar 

"Go!"I scream to Ivar, as he looks at me in shock "Ivar...GO!"I scream in rage at him, tears stream down my face as Evelyn enters. 

"fealltachd"(Betrayer) I scream at her as I grab Elish's spear and impaled Evelyn, through her chest, blood spills over me as I lift the dark-haired woman, I fall before her screaming of sadness. Ivar looks at me in shock and takes his leave, running from his death and brothers. 

As Bjorn and Hvitserk enter, Elish stands before me her body showing she is with child, I push her away and hand Mordred to her. I look at the brother's blood and tear-stained "Kill me, Like your mother killed Ivars mother, leave one more child to seek revenge, "I say drawing my sword. I look back to the babe in Elish arms as he looks at me, tears stain her eyes. I slowly make my way towards the brothers, Hvitserk frowns at me. Bjorn takes a step back

"No, put away your sword," Bjorn says, I look back to Elish and my son 

"I do not know where he is," I say as I drop my sword, the metal clashes against the cold floor, Bjorn commands his people to take me away, shekels are placed over my pale skin, my death was not physical, it was my mind that died, killing one of my most trusted commanders and losing my beloved, my son to be raised by another this killed me. I look into the eyes of the man locking me away, he frowns at me as he sees my eyes change color from grey to gold... 

  "vǫlva"(Witch) He says as he closes the door...