Mother-Daughter Bonding

Mom and I were at her house now. It wasn't at all what I expected. I expected something close to Wizards of Waverly Place, but this was homy. Not all magicy. I mean, there were potion bottles and a big book on a table, but that was about it. Mom seemed normal. I took in every detail of her features.

She surprisingly looked like me. Her dark hair was slightly longer than mine. Her eyes resembled chocolate in every way. Her skin was lightly tanned, with spotted freckles here and there. She didn't look very old for a mom. She was also very skinny. Not anorexic, skinny, but thin. Like she kept up with her weight daily. But not like those girls who counted calories or anything.

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions," she finally said.

"I don't know which to ask first," I admitted.

"Just ask away," she shrugged.

"What happened?" I blurted out without thinking. "With you and Dad?"

She sighed and looked down. "He's a sorcer. So, he thought that since I was a wizard, that things would be...challenging for us. When he left, we had just figured out you were a sorceress. Just by the balls of magic you threw in your sleep--we knew. Times were tougher back then. You had a better life if everyone stuck to their own... Um... I don't know how to say this... It was safer if you married your own kind, or whatever."

"So... He left because you are a wizard," I gathered.

"No," she assured me. "No, he thought leaving would be protecting me."

"He told me that he left because of issues that weren't going to resolve any time soon," I said.

"Let's just say our love was like Romeo and Juliet," she chuckled to herself lightly.

"Why didn't you come looking for me or Dad?" I asked.

"Because I wasn't sure where to begin. When your father left, he didn't tell me where he was going. And when you had to leave--to train for sorcery--I didn't know where you went. I had no idea you and your father would be so close together," she said. "Speaking of scorcery, are you an Important already?"

I shook my head. "Still a Regular."

"Then how--?"

"Such a long story," I sighed.

"I'll bet," she said.

I told her the whole story--except for the Molly thing. I watched her expressions as I told her each part. She would go from smiling about me and Darnellel to having fury in her eyes because of what Harvey did. She didn't interrupt me once. She laughed when it was funny, and cried when it was sad. She seemed very interested in what I had to say.

She seemed very neutral when I told her about when I found out that Master was my dad. She seemed very entranced on that part--as if she clung onto every word I said. When I finally finished my long story, I waited for her to respond. I waited for her to say "wow" or something. But she sat there in utter shock at all the things I went through.

I could tell she was proccessing it into her brain--letting it all sink in and become comprehendable. She looked down and then back at me. "You've been through so much, haven't you?"

"Was my story too subtle for you?" I chuckled.

"I'm sorry," she laughed lightly. "I just never thought that... I don't know. I'm speechless."

"It's fine," I assured her.

"So," she urged. "When are you gonna see Darnellel again?"

I breathed. "I don't know, Mom."