Challenge of the Heart and Mind

I know I haven't uploaded in forever and I'm sincerely sorry!! But I worked really hard on this chapter and I hope you enjoy it!

*****

The next morning, I was awake at 10:30. I couldn't believe how late I'd slept. I was usually awake around nineish, if not earlier. I showered, dressed, and walked out, not knowing the plan. What did they want me here for? Was I supposed to face my brother again? How would Fay know what my brother thought? Was she a mind-reader?

She'd talked like she was and also talked about my brother as if she really loved him. I didn't really know anything anymore. I checked my phone and Nathan had text me a simple "good morning" message. Classic. I was surprised it wasn't another extremely long one that claimed his love for me.

I fixed my hair and walked out. It was surprisingly quiet for almost 11 o'clock. I felt like I was in a horror movie where someone was about to kill me or something. But this was reality--and even though it could happen--I was pretty sure it wouldn't. If I died, then their plan--whatever it was--would be foiled.

I walked around until I bumped into someone. I looked up and it was my brother. I tried to turn around, but he grabbed my arm. I tried to yank it free. I wasn't in the mood. I was still tired, still confused.... I just didn't want to say anything I'd regret later.

"I can read your mind, you know," he said.

I looked over him. "What are you?"

"Wizard," he smiled.

"You must be very proud," I rolled my eyes.

"Kate, please listen," he said.

I waited.

"I can't give up my powers," he said.

I scoffed. "Why not? You're too proud?"

"No--"

"Tell me this," I shut him up. "If you thought about me all the time, why didn't you ever come for me? Why didn't you ever cast some weird holographic spell to see where I was? Why haven't you come for me? I have the excuse of not knowing my family to not look for you. But you knew about me. So why have you stayed and not tried to find me?"

He seemed shocked. Like no one had ever talked to him this way before. I looked him over and shook my head. I couldn't believe he wasn't trying to make up some lie to try to convince me that he did look for me at some point in time. I still couldn't believe this was all real. I gave up and walked away.

"Kate," he called, but I ignored him.

I opened my medallion and Darnellel answered. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I whispered. "Where are you?"

"Kitchen," he chuckled.

"This place has a kitchen?" I arched an eyebrow.

He nodded. "Come down the stairs."

I looked around for the stairs and closed my medallion. I heard my name again and went faster. I went downstairs and Darnellel smiled at me. I smiled back at him. In that moment, I knew that things weren't going to end so bad. As long as he was here with me, I felt safe. Happy. All of the feelings I never felt with Nathan.

"You okay?" he laughed at me.

I blinked and came back into reality. "Uh, yeah. You cook?"

"Oh, yeah," he shrugged. "It's just something I picked up on in Home-Ec."

"You took Home-Ec?" I laughed.

He shrugged. "Needed the credit."

"Ah," I nodded.