3

Eddie could tell it was loud.

He could tell by the toilet roll being thrown into the air, the teenagers slamming lockers around him, almost everyone talking in their little groups.

He just couldn't hear it.

Eddie hated moving to Derry, because nobody would understand. Back in New York, everyone had finally accepted him, and now the small boy was back at square one. A new school, a new life.

His mother decided moving was the best for them, when really it was only best for her. Eddie had been against the idea since she mentioned it. Just the thought of having to explain everything again was the worst part for the boy. He just wanted to finally live his life in peace. But no. He wonders the corridor, books clutched to his chest. In silence.

Eddie is constantly looking at the positives to his disability. His hearing started decreasing when he was just four years old, therefore he'd grown to understand and adapt to the unfortunate circumstances. Partly, he was glad that he didn't have to listen to some people's bullshit, and just pretend to listen to their irrelevant comments.

Yet now, at a new school, Eddie was alone all the time. The only person who had shown an interest was the school's bullies, Henry Bowers and his goons. Apart from that, only one other girl had questioned him about what deaf people do during sex. Eddie's cheeks had turned crimson at the comment, and simply shrugged in response. Because the teenager did not know that answer.

However, whilst pondering his thoughts, Eddie remembers the boy who had saved him from Bowers, and nearly ran him over the previous day. He smiles at the thought of his dark eyes, thick black curls and sharp jawline. Want to touch it, he thinks to himself, unaware of his blushing.

"Ah, Eddie. Welcome to the class!" The teacher, Mr Cormack, smiles eagerly at him. Eddie is quick to read his teachers lips and nod slightly before nervously turning to the class. "Make him feel welcome, you awful bunch." Mr Cormack laughs.

Eddie scans the classroom for an empty seat, a blush filling his cheeks at the awkward pause. After a few moments, he finds one beside a tall kid who's too busy carving something into the table to notice his presence. Eddie gulps slightly before scurrying over to the seat, placing his bag down and taking his place at the desk.

The boy beside him finally looks over at him through distinctive curly bangs, and instantly smiles widely. "No way! It's the one and only Eddie!" He gasps playfully.

Eddie manages to catch what he's saying, and then looks up at the teens eyes. Richie. He nods with a small smile before pulling his notebook out of his backpack and placing it onto the desk. He quickly realised he brought the wrong one to school today once he sees the baby blue front cover, scattered in stickers of hearts and rainbows. Eddie has never liked the same things as other seventeen year-olds, and for that he felt extremely embarrassed. He always feels there is something else wrong with him. Something indescribable, that his mother would most certainly not approve of.

"Now that's fucking adorable." Richie whispers, looking at the notebook and then up at Eddie, who's face is burning red. Richie casually leans back in his chair and points his pen at the smaller boy. "You don't talk? Or am I just too gorgeous to handle?" He winks obnoxiously.

Eddie doesn't quiet catch this and stares at the boy's lips, a little lost.

"What's it with my lips, huh Eds?" Richie smirks and leans up close to Eddie's face. "You like to stare at them a lot." He teasingly raises an eyebrow.

Eddie reads this remark. His stomach twists into a tight knot and suddenly he feels his chest tighten. This'll be the first person he's had to explain anything too. And he's terrified.