7

Hey just letting you know that I hate school and it might make my updates late🤠

Eddie runs his small thumb over the white rimmed picture in his hand, taking time to take in the goofy smile of the boy laid beside him on the grass in the Polaroid image.

They had taken the picture just moments after getting out of the water, by then it was noon, and you can clearly see the orange glare on their faces from the lowering sun. Eddie likes his face in the picture, smiling with eyes tilted towards Richie. But the picture doesn't capture the placement of Richie's hands, which Eddie remembers vividly were intertwined around his waist like a vice.

It's like they're still there.

Eddie carefully tapes the picture on the wall just above his bed, not realising he's smiling until his cheeks start to ache a little. Then it starts to settle in.

He has friends.

Eddie Kaspbrak actually has friends.

He smiles at the thought before feeling a vibration against his fingertips which rest gently on the wall. His eyebrows knit into a frown, but he soon realises that someone must've opened the front door. Usually the vibrations and the use of his other senses are the reason why Eddie is much more alert to things than other deaf people. He's more aware.

Slowly, he leaves his room and peers down the stairs to catch a glimpse of who it might be at the door. He squints, only to see his mother's feet... and then a pair of chunky black boots just outside the door.

Chunky black boots?

Who wears chunky black boots?

He furrows his eyebrows, thinking of all the people it could possibly be. Beverly wore a pair of Doc Martins to the quarry, but they weren't like that.

Suddenly he stands up straight.

Richie!

Eddie almost bounds down the stairs at the speed of lightening, almost tripping up on the last step before stopping beside his mother.

"... Oh come on ms.K–" Richie quickly stops, looking over at Eddie who seems to of appeared out of thin air. "Eddie-Spaghetti! There you are!" He grins.

"Eddie-bear, you're supposed to be upstairs." Sonia quickly puts her hand on Eddie's shoulder, attempting to coax him back towards the staircase. Eddie quickly frowns and stumbles a little at her gesture.

"Ma, stop it," He sighs quietly. "Let me talk to Chee."

Richie can't hold back smile and flashes Sonia a rather cheesy grin. She scoffs a little before dropping her grip on Eddie's shoulder.

"Fine, but only quickly." She points a warning finger at Richie specifically, then warily wonders off into the kitchen.

Eddie turns his head back to Richie who's still smiling rather widely. "How do you know where I live?" He asks with a small frown.

"I remember your mum telling the doctor your address at the hospital." Richie quickly jumps, feet bouncing onto the wooden floor and open arms displayed. "Boom! I'm here."

"Right..." Eddie nods slowly. "And you're here because...?"

"Well," Richie leans against the wall like a casual gang member, his leather jacket and all black look making Eddie's heart race. "I wanted to take you to see the fireworks."

Eddie is too busy gushing over how rugged and hot Richie looks to catch even a word of what he just said. He bites his lip and stares at Richie with lost eyes.