Ch. 23: The Half-Vampire Throws a Hissy Fit

hey... thought i might update this one again. since i'm finally back in civilization where there's INTERNET... for those of you who might have noticed and cared that i usually update both stories at the same time... not this time. not today, not. to day. sorry. i haven't finished writing the other one. 

ANYWAY. this one is OMG long! in my standards. so, hope you enjoy. aidan, as you can tell by title, is going off the deep end again. -sigh- moody aidan is back. ENJOY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tiana’s POV:

      We ran down the tunnel as quickly as we could. I stumbled in the darkness. Aidan reached behind him without looking and pulled me upright. He didn’t let go after that, just pulled me along.

      Suddenly, he stopped, and I slammed right into him. He wrapped an arm around me, holding me against him while he backed against the wall. I looked up at him, wondering why he’d stopped, but his green eyes were hidden behind his hair, and his face was turned towards the door I’d somehow missed.

Now that I was concentrating on the door, I could see the shadows moving in the thin slivers of light peeking through the darkness. I could hear voices and thundering footsteps, and involuntarily I shrunk back against Aidan. He tightened his grip on me, and I could feel how tense he was.

“What?” I said. “What’s out----”

“Shut up,” he said quietly. “Just wait until they pass.”

I obeyed, trying to control my beating heart. I didn’t want to distract Aidan, who could hear my heartbeat loud and clear.

He slid to the floor, pulling me down with him. He surprised me by wrapping both his arms around me, squeezing me close to his chest. I realized he was breathing heavily, and shaking. He put his face in my hair, muttering incoherently.

“Aidan…?” I was confused and a little worried.

He didn’t respond, just held me tightly, like I was the only thing keeping him from falling apart.

Hesitantly, I put my arms around him, patting his back awkwardly. I supposed he was in shock, because the Aidan I knew would die before he showed weakness like this. I mean, he just learned that he was adopted, his dad’s dead, his mother’s missing, and oh yeah, the whole of the vampire world was hunting him down, for various reasons that wasn’t any of his problem really.

Finally, the footsteps died down, and it was quiet outside. I shifted against Aidan’s hold. “Hey,” I said softly. “Want to get out of here?”

Slowly, he pulled away from me. He didn’t look at me, his hair still hiding his brilliant eyes. He opened the door and pulled my outside by the hand. I stared at him, still a bit worried. He’s moving like a robot, doing what he had to without thinking. I glanced at him several times in the car, but he still refused to look at me.

Sandra and Darrel were still out when we got back, which I took as a good thing. Aidan slammed the door and stormed his way down the stairs. I hurried after him, hoping he wouldn’t do anything drastic.

“Aidan. Aidan, wait!” He ignored me, and kept walking. “Aidan-----” I put a hand on his shoulder.

In a flash, he spun around, grabbing my wrist and pinning me against the wall. His green eyes were blazing, almost wild. If I wasn’t so close to him, I wouldn’t have been able to see the hurt and confusion hidden in his eyes.