#34: Advancement

"Again..."

A boy with black hair let out a rough breath as he kneeled in the middle of a deserted and barren land; built on rocky mountains. The dusty wind whipped around his pale coloured face, with his thin shirt blowing violently as he tried to claw his way out of the situation he was put in. Narrowing his dark eyes, his bangs were blown back, showing marks inflicted on his face.

"Why do I see you..."

Letting out a weak smile, he rose to his feet, before collapsing back down with a yell. Standing up once more, he was gusted to the floor once again by the wind that carried sand. Exhausted, he let himself sink into the rocky floor that was covered in fine brown grains, only for a couple seconds, before sitting up with a determined scowl. Curling his hands into fists, he rubbed the gritty sand between his fingers and palms, feeling their coarse texture roughen his already torn skin.

"In my head..."

Getting on his feet again, the boy continued recklessly clawing forward, reaching out towards the icy sun that dried out the back of his throat. He was in a heat haze, feeling the conflicting wind and blazing sun collide into him simultaneously.

"Stop it..."

He gritted his teeth together tightly, and continued to stumble ahead, not caring that he was being held back by the terrain in front of him. He had fallen and tumbled to the floor again and again, but each time he did, he got up with an impassioned, burning look in his glimmering eyes.

"I don't want to be reminded..."

Feeling the pockets in his trousers becoming heavy, he emptied the debris inside of them, and let out a ragged breath. The boy grinned with a toothy smile and laughed.

"About those days."

Engrossed in his visions, Ayato slowly tipped backwards while in his leather chair. Feeling his knees hump against the clean, but not neat, desk; he shuddered, jerking forward with cold sweat running down his brow and cheek. His rainbow coloured eyes were wide open, and escaping his mouth were small breaths that shook in time with his distraught heart beat. Grabbing his head with his hands, he steadied himself, and focused on the gentle sound of rain inside to feel calm and at ease.

"Branch Manager Korastacker. Your guests have arrived."

Opening the door of his office, Ayato's assistant bowed, stepping to the side and gesturing to the two people that came with him. Standing at the door way with serious yet nervous faces, Rukia and Zeon stepped inside the office's blue carpeted floor.

"Long time no see." Rukia said.

(Opening here)

"And now we were the key to completing it

"And now we were the key to completing it..."

"You two are earlier than expected." Ayato commented, taking two plastic seats from the side of his room and carrying them over to in front of his desk. "If I knew you guys were coming earlier, I would've set up by now."