#58: Rukia Takanori

I was walking on a thin line between hope and despair. Each day was a balancing act for me, as I fought against myself to keep the fleeting hope that one day I would see Yza again.

Even though I was enlisted to kill him, when it came down to it, I couldn't do it. While he's alive, I sometimes wondered if it was better if he was dead. If we were better off both dead.

Imagine living in a world where the person you love most who was also your boyfriend disappeared. Then, you find out they're alive, but they're stranded on another planet.

That less than 1% chance situation happened to me. It was my karma for everything I did to him.

When I was Яeversed, I did so many horrible things to Yza. So many sins— I tricked him, toyed with him, and broke him to the point his alter reemerged.

Yet, he was ready to cast away his humanity if it meant being by my side. He was ready to become a slave to the Яeverse, if it meant he could be with me.

He knew I wanted to kill him. Regardless, he chose death if it meant being by my side again. That much, warmed my cold heart.

Even though I was Яeversed, I could still fee, I could still think. I could still remember those precious memories and the time we spent together.

But because I failed to kill him, Yza became the sacrifice necessary for the portal to open. When Backlion dismissed me from the Яeverse, he enacted his plans to open the portal shortly thereafter.

It was there, on the school rooftop, where I saw a sight that was forever burned deep in my retinas.

Spectral Duke Dragon was tearing Yza apart, who was drowning in a sea of his own blood and nailed on a cross, screaming in unthinkable pain while the beast hacked away at his body to the point his organs were almost spilling out.

If I killed him earlier, then he wouldn't have suffered that torture. A quick death was painless compared to what Spectral Duke was making him go through.

If I killed him earlier, then Backlion wouldn't be able to open the portal using him as a sacrifice. I felt incredibly guilty, because I was the reason he was used like this.

Luckily, we managed to free him, and he managed to make a full recovery. If the barrier between Earth and Cray wasn't collapsing, then Yza would've died for sure...

Even though it was a short moment, we were united as our true selves. No Яeverse. No alter. Just me and him.

How it used to be.

But that moment was short lived... we had to save the world from Backlion.

I watched him cardfight from a distance. He was just like a knight, gallantly charging into the final battle against the big boss. He was so cool...

But even when he slain the enemy, our worlds didn't return back to normal. It was still collapsing, still on the verge of breaking.

Yza recognised what was wrong, and gave me one last kiss. The feeling of his lips against mine still linger to this day...

And even though I selfishly screamed for him to stop, he still jumped into the portal.

Yza sacrificed himself to save everyone...

I thought fate was playing a cruel joke on me. Even though I had tried so hard to keep him alive, Yza's selflessness meant he was ready to give up his life if it was in exchange for everyone else's.