#41: Vessel

The silent night was born after Mai had finished shopping, and walking on her way home. The rain from earlier had stopped since then, and the small girl navigated the cold autumn streets by herself, carrying two large bags in each hand. She passed in front of a small French café, and put down her bags. After checking her wallet, she sighed, before a man put a ¥2000 bill in front of her. She looked up, to see Ayaza smiling under the blue moonlight.

(Opening here)

"You didn't have to do this

"You didn't have to do this." Mai said, sitting inside the warm café with her bags by her feet.

"Hey, don't say that kind of thing. I was the one who gave you the money by my free will." Ayaza said, using a spoon to feed himself a little bit of his tropical fruit parfait. His spine tingled as he swallowed the sweet, but cold, cream that was layered on top a variety of exotic fruits. "You didn't have to invite me to join you as well. But I appreciate the sentiment."

"You sound a bit like Kinjuzo..." Mai muttered under breath, taking a sip of her warm tea. She fed herself a slice of her dark chocolate gateau, and her face lit up with joy. "Ah... I love this place."

"Kinjuzo...? Ah, yeah... Yza's split personality." Ayaza said, hiding his smile behind the tall glass of ice cream. "It's a shame he "died"..."

"Eh?" Mai perked her head, looking at Ayaza. "You... you said died in a weird way."

"Oh, did I? Sorry." Ayaza laughed, putting some more of the parfait into his mouth. "I didn't mean to... I guess I'm not used to saying Yza is dead... when he clearly isn't..."

"You keep mumbling... Could you speak a little louder?" Mai asked with a polite tone.

"Sorry, sorry." Ayaza sighed, chuckling nervously and looking the other way. "I guess I'm just nervous... I mean, I'm talking to a girl... a cute one no less."

"If this is your lame attempt at flirting then it's not working. Idiot." Mai said deadpan.

"N-no! I'm just speaking the truth, I promise!" Ayaza exclaimed, flailing his arms around.

"The truth, huh? I didn't guess for you to be the lolicon type." Mai snickered.

"Wow, a self-aware tsundere..." Ayaza muttered dejectedly.

"I'm not a tsundere, idiot." Mai clicked her tongue.

"Call me "idiot" once more then, tsundere-chan." Ayaza smirked, slamming his fist on the table.

"Hmph... you're just mocking me." Mai crossed her arms and looked away.

"Haha, yeah. Just pulling your leg." Ayaza said, eating one of the fruits on his parfait. "Man, this café has great food... I should come here more often."

"Yes... this place is very special to me. It's where me and Kinjuzo went on our first date." Mai said, taking another bite from her decadent cake.

"How ironic... if an outsider didn't know any better, they would probably assume we were on a date." Ayaza said, licking his lips.