Where it all started

Caroline's POV-

"Please, can I just go in?" I hear a feminine but young voice say.

"No, not until she adjusts to everything. This is a lot to take on." Ruth says in a motherly way.

"Fine. At least go check on her." The girl says worry clear in her voice.

"Okay, now run along go check on the Salvatore brothers. They can be childish sometimes." I giggle slightly. But stop when my head begins to throb. Memories from the previous night filled my head like a bucket being overfilled with water. Tears began rushing out of me remembering the screaming, the fire, and Nik. Just then Ruth walks in her smile falling being replaced with a sorrowful look when she sees me. Running to my bed she wraps me in a hug.

"Caroline... It's so good to see you again." She cries into my shoulder.

"You too Ruth. I've missed you so much." We hugged for what seemed like forever.

"How is everybody?" I ask feeling a pressure in my chest like somethings not right.

"Everybody's fine." She says smiling.

"Knock knock." Damons voice calls out. I look past her head to see Damon and Stefan walking in the room.

 I look past her head to see Damon and Stefan walking in the room

"Hey," I say noticing water droplets falling down my cheeks. I frown and say, "Don't just stand there come hug me." The smile rushing to my side hugging me tightly.

"I've waiting to do this for months," I say into Damons ear because I couldn't when we were locked up.

"I've been waiting since I left." He pulls back smiling. Stefan hangs on a little longer.

"So you still a ripper?" I say he smiles at me slowly letting out of the hug.

"No, Lexi helped me become... myself again." I smile at his words.

"We're all finally back together. I feel like I'm at home." When those words left my mouth, my heart tightened. It would truly be right if the Mikaelsons were here. After half an hour of talking which Lexi ended up walking into a thought finally popped into my head.

"Where's Enzo?" I say happily then added, "And... and Elliana?"

"We wanted to give you some time until you saw Elle again," Lexi says looking down.

"Okay, what about Enzo?" Damon looks at me with sadness and guilt.

"DAMON, where is he?" I practically growl.

"i... I left him." My heart falls to the pit of my stomach. I couldn't breathe.

"Why?" Just like that, it hits me. I remember Damon not being able to get his door open.

"I couldn't open the cage door so- I left. I turned off my humanity and left him." He says looking down.

"He would have never left you," I growl for real this time.

"Well maybe if the British wanker didn't have to save you. we wouldn't be in this predicament. Would we?"

"I love you Damon and I'm so thankful that you were with me through it all but all I really want now is to see my daughter and try not to kick your ass. So can you all please send her in?" He nods as all of them begin to file out they open it to see a girl falling into the room due to her leaning on the door. They all laugh at her.

"Oh, I was just coming to see if you were ready... to meet me... you know what I'm sorry... I'll just go." She panics out. I flash to her wrapping her into my arms. At first, she tenses in my hold but relaxes into it making me be able to finally breathe.

I pull away and notice they had left.

"Hi, Caroline." I feel my chest cave.

"No, I'm your mom. You call me mom. You understand?" She laughs.

"I was just messing around mom." She looks unfamiliar saying it.  It's quiet for a while until I noticed tears rolling down her face.

"Hey... hey what's wrong?" I hold her face up to look at me.

"I... nothing."

"No I know how it feels to keep your feeling inside and it sucks. I did it for years. Your not gonna do it any longer." I feel the tears falling down my face now.

"Why did you leave me again. You promised me you would be there for me forever. You promised and one day I woke up without a mom. Do you know how that felt?" I sit her on my bed and held her tightly.

"You have no idea. I've been alive for a very long time. I have stories to last a lifetime. But the reason I left you wasn't that I hated you. I turned it off and I didn't want you to see me as a monster. I didn't want you to be afraid of me. That was my biggest fear." She cries.

"Promise me- no give me your word that you won't ever leave me again. at least not for that long. Lexi says you always keep your word so give me it." I grab her hands staring in her deep blue eyes.

"I give you my word I will NEVER leave you again." She smiles hugging me. After hours of talking about her personality and life story she asks me, "Can you tell me?"

"Tell you what?" 

"Your story. I want to know everything. Your family, your friends, your good and bad memories, and heartbreaks. Tell me everything." I look down at her as we lay in my bed her hair sprawled out on the bed.

"I'm telling you that might take a while. I also don't think I should tell you everything."

"Fine just the main stuff... for right now of course." I smile she reminded me so much of myself.

"It began a thousand years ago. I met my family. The famous Mikaelson siblings-"

"The Originals. Lexi has told me of them."

"Well, I'm also an original."

"Lexi told me they also had a family friend turned. Just failed to mention it was you."

"Well, now you know. Anyway, I instantly become friends their only sister Rebekah-"

2 hours later-

I told her the beginning of my story all the way up to our vow of always and forever.

"So you had a crush on my now uncle Klaus but had sex with his brother... my dad- ugh?" I facepalm myself this was so uncomfortable.

"I mean yeah. I was a heartbroken stupid teen. But this doesn't mean you should follow in my footsteps. Learn from my mistakes. Wait for the guy to find you. He gets to have you. You don't get to have him. He needs to fight for you. Don't be stupid. I know you'll mess up but from my story learn and take my experiences to heart." She looks up at me with admiration in her eyes.

"Okay but if you love them. Why aren't they here?"

"Now. that is a story for another day. Come on let's get dinner."