His Wife, My Love Part VII (Final)

The redhead purposefully started walking towards him and he side-stepped her, walking to his car.

"Excuse me," he heard her breathlessly call behind him.

Jordan ignored her and kept walking.

"Hey!"

Not wanting to be rude, Jordan heavily sighed and unlocked his car door, before turning to her. He raised his eyebrows in question.

Stopping in front of him, she teasingly smiled and smoothed her hair off her forehead. "I'm sorry," she nervously smiled. "I don't normally do things like this, but- "

Jordan tried to keep his face as plaintive as possible. "Yeah?"

"I thought it was you, but I wasn't sure. That's why I waited outside for you."

Jordan peculiarly looked at her. Was this chick playing with a full deck? "In the cold?"

"It's not that cold." She visibly shivered. "Besides, I haven't been out here that long."

"I was inside almost two hours."

She tilted her head at him, ignoring his last statement. "You don't remember me, do you?"

"Am I supposed to?"

"I'm Gwen. Gwen Emanuel. We went to college together."

Jordan curiously looked at her.

"I was your girlfriend's roommate. Anna Beth?"

Jordan's deep brown eyes thoughtfully roamed the stranger's face. He brightened, remembering. "Oh yeah! Gwen!"

She grinned. "That's right."

"Now I remember. That is right. You look different. Wasn't your hair blonde then?"

She nodded. "I used to dye my hair. Gingers weren't very popular back then."

He politely shook her hand and was comforted by its warmth. "It's good to see you. It's been a long time."

"That it has." She waited a moment longer, before pulling her hand away. "It's good to see you too."

Not knowing what else to say, Jordan just looked at her for a minute. "So, what brings you here?" He gestured towards the building. "You seeing a head shrink too?" He inwardly winced at how callous he sounded.

Gwen lightly chuckled. "No. I work in the corporate office. It's on the top floor."

He nodded. "Oh."

"I'm the receptionist."

He nodded again and glanced at his watch.

She nervously wet her lips and cleared her throat. "You look the same. I mean, older, but... You still look good."

"Thanks. You too."

She nodded again and shifted on her feet. "So, how's Anna Beth? Do you still stay in touch with her?"

Jordan's eyes dimmed and his face set. Gritting his teeth, he turned towards his car and got in, closing the door. "Anna Beth's dead," was his terse reply.

Gwen's mouth opened in shock. A shimmer of tears sprang up in her ocean-blue eyes. "Oh. I'm sorry."

Jordan nodded. "Almost three years ago."

Gwen somberly looked at him.

"We were married. Had a son. He was murdered last week."

Gwen gasped and covered her mouth with her hand. She shook her head. "Jesus. Oh my God. I'm sorry to hear that."