Chapter 20 - In the Cosmic Tunnel

I can feel a strong force of gravity pull me up. I stare at Blake as she tries her best to stay calm. I don't know what to think, what to do, or what to prepare for. To be honest, I really didn't mentally prepare myself for this.

'Don't just stand there! Shoot them!' I can faintly hear someone from the outside scream. I have no idea if they will hit us or we're safe, but I'm 60% sure we're above the ground.

And then.

Blank.

The portal had completely swallowed them up, the bullets were too late, but it also entered the portal. The officers were swearing and arguing amongst themselves because of their failure. In the Cosmic Tunnel, space and time become one. It might as well be considered as a wormhole, with two ends.

Wormholes are consistent with the general theory of relativity, but whether wormholes actually exist remains to be a mystery. However, because of this expedition, as recorded by the Assistant, will be proof that such a thing exists.

A wormhole could connect extremely long distances such as a billion light-years or more, short distances such as a few meters, different universes, or different points in time.

This experiment is extremely dangerous because they might die while inside the tunnel. The Oxygen Tanks finally function after the strong weight of the gravity subsides.

'What happened? Where are we?' I seemingly ask myself after I wake up. 'Blake? Are you okay?' I asked.

'My head hurts. How did we even survive that? I thought this was a suicide attempt.' Blake said.

'Well, you see, we are traveling at the speed of light, normally. We're still here because the Assistant constructed a jet propulsion system at the front which is currently firing forward, slowing us down at 3/10th of the average speed in a wormhole, which keeps us from dematerializing.' I happily discussed the math I calculated while in a panic just earlier.

'Question, which might be considered a problem.' she said.

'Yes?'

'We entered from a portal just at the Earth's atmosphere. We're currently traveling inside a wormhole. Where exactly are we exiting at?' she asked. I blame the officers because we had less time to prepare for this expedition. We hadn't even fully discussed the calculations and mathematics I've put into this, which by the way is a lot.

'Honestly, I don't know either. Let's just hope for the best. I mean, it's either this or we die. Which one will it be?' I discussed. I do have a strong feeling about this. This feels promising.

'Okay. Did the machine you used to get to my world also traveled through a loophole?' Blake asked while checking the cameras from the outside.

'Perhaps we can say that.' I answered. I am not sure myself, to be honest. I originally thought I traveled through time but she might have an idea here.

'Our dimensions might be linked to each other by a loophole in between. There might be a good chance that we will end up here, just to bring our hopes up.' Blake replied.

'I just wonder what world will we be in if we didn't go back home. You know what? I'll get my Assistant to scan this, not sure if it will be safe though.' I replied. My initial plan now is to send a piece of my Assistant to an expedition to see where this will lead us. I called upon my Assistant and told me to do my plans.

'Are you sure about this? What if it gets pulled out of this tunnel by some force?' I hear Blake's concern in her voice.

'Don't worry. As long as it's in constant acceleration, it should have artificial gravity in the middle. Besides, we're locked in here now, the only way we can get out is either we go back or go forward. We really can't go back so we have no choice.' I replied and she seems to be relieved. I then launched my Assistant forward.

'I hope the speed in which this is going will not destroy it.' Blake said.

'Sir, the features at the edge of this tunnel seems to be the same as the one found at the telescope.' the original Assistant spoke with the information sent by the chunk I sent outside.

'If that's true, then we might really be home.' I said to Blake.

'Should we go faster?' Blake asked.

'No. Traveling faster than this will destroy the equipment. My Expedition Bot has been compromised by the accelerating speed of the tunnel. Time Graph will be shown.' the Assistant said as it displays the Time Graph which showcases the speed of the bot at a point in time.

'Yeah, according to this, we will be dusted if we go faster. We have to be patient, Blake.' I said.

'Hang on, do you hear that?' Blake asked.

'Hear what?' I asked.

'Missle with intense radioactive power detected.' the Assistant said.

'What? Did they manage to send one? How did it catch up to us?' Blake asked.

'Perhaps it didn't have anything to slow it down and it's acceleration is increasing every second.' I replied.

'Why hasn't it turn to dust?' she asked. She is really panicked now, I don't blame her.

'Quickly, send a bot that will nullify the bomb.' I immediately said while trying to think of a logical reason why that bomb hasn't reached the level of infinite mass and gets disintegrated.

The Assistant responded quickly. 'The missile is traveling near the speed of light. The only way to stop it is to create a wall blockade behind us that will disable it as it hits the wall.'

'We better think quickly. Okay, send a bot right away.' I said in a panic.

'Bot deployed. Now reaching the end of the tunnel.'

'I feel dizzy.' Blake said. I can feel a headache, like a knife carving into my skull.

Then I can faintly hear the Assistant speak once more. 'Now going out the loophole.' Then blank again.