Chapter 26 - Hiding around

We were suspended in the air when we saw a lot of missiles heading our way. We were still a long way from the headquarters, at least the map says so. Dr. Williams was taking a rest and Blake was looking at the other side of the chopper's windows.

'Dr. Williams? What are those missiles doing? Are they the poisonous gas?' Blake asked while tapping on Dr. William's shoulder. He was a deep sleeper and it got him into trouble a lot of times, and this will be the next.

'No time to sleep now. There's missiles, Williams!' I shouted. I knew that saying that will shock him due to disrespect. Not calling him by his title 'Dr.' really pisses him off. Some missiles grazed next to us. Good thing the chopper's Artificial Intelligence was smart enough to evade them.

'What did you just call me?' he asked me with an angry tone. He's mad, but at least I woke him up.

'No time to worry about nicknames. Look outside.' Blake said while pointing at the window.

'This is what I feared the most earlier. They sent the bombs earlier than planned.' he said. 'We just need to evade it all.' I wish my Assistant is able to allow this chopper to be in ghost phase so it will pass through every missile but its too big.

'Why would they do that?' Blake asked.

'The troops taken there were not really trusted. They were assigned to report at the chopper at an exact time. Being too early and too late in reporting will launch off the missiles immediately.' he said. I can't believe he didn't tell us about this. Some missiles exploded outside midair which disperses out the gas in the sky.

'The chopper won't be able to maintain the gas so put on your masks.' he said and wore the mask. The soldier's uniforms were very high-tech for today's standards. The uniform is actually a bracelet. You wear it on your wrist and if you activate it, it will wrap your body in their uniforms. How neat is that? Dr. Williams told us that when Blake asked earlier. The two can work well in the future, I can see it now. They took the bracelet's from the knocked out soldiers as I was climbing up the building earlier for my ambush.

'Did we activate the sensors at the right time then?' Blake asked with a concerned look.

'Yes. As I also thought, the whole idea was rigged. They were just used one last time and they were planned to be killed even when they followed their instructions.' he said. Their commaders are sick, in the worst way. This whole place is going to be a wasteland soon and the troops will have to find a way to survive and get out of here. 'The chopper coming back was only to trick the rest of society that they tried to get them back. The only reason why it was sent away while they were gone was to avoid any immediate retreat.' he followed.

'Why were they trusted anyway? And why were you with them?' I asked while Blake went outside and used her Gravity Gun to repel the incoming missiles that were about to hit us.

'They weren't trusted because someone discovered about their plan in assassinating the nation's leaders. They planned to kill them off before they can do their plans, but killing someone of your own nationality was deemed illegal, at all cases. They were placed there so no one will know about their deaths.' he answered. What has leadership become when I was gone?

'Well, why were you with them, though?' I asked. The chopper started going faster than normal, and the falling missiles were now gone. They are now behind us, still bombarding the land.

'The higher-ups had no idea I was with them. I sneaked in with them so I can save the people who are from other countries. They planned to kill them. Up to now, we only stumbled upon you.' he answered once again. The map is saying we're only a few kilometers from headquarters. We better prepare.