chapter seventeen

lauren,

jack: hey it's jack from the university

lauren: oh hi!

jack: how you doing?

lauren: okay ig
lauren: how are you?

jack: bored
jack: you wanna do something?

lauren: like what?

jack: whatever. maybe go to an arcade or something fun?

lauren: okay yeah. beats sitting in this hotel room by myself.

jack: ok cool just text me where you're staying at and i can pick you up

lauren: i'm saying at the inn, it's not that far from the university. see you soon!

i turned my phone after sending that last text and i went to my suitcase and tried to find something to wear.

i didn't really pack anything for going out so i just tried my best. i put on some ripped jeans and an oversized shirt on and then i brushed my hair a little and just waited for jack to get here

"wow, this place is pretty packed" i said looking around.

we were at some big arcade place. you could bowl, it was a restaurant, you could skate and then there were of course all the games and stuff.

"it's a pretty popular place" jack shrugged.

"looks fun" i said.

"yeah, let me get us some cards to play games" he said and led us over to where you purchase them.

"oh.. well i can-"

"don't worry, i got you" he said and bought mine for me.

"you didn't have to do that" i said when he handed me my card.

"what can i say? i'm a gentlemen" he said.

"what are we gonna do first?" i asked him.

"basketball seems fun.. you cool with that?"

"yeah" i smiled. "but first.. let's take a picture. i want to remember this night"

he smiled and i pulled out my phone and snapped a picture of us and i posted it quickly and then followed jack to the basketball game on the opposite side of the room.

in the middle of the game.. jack was beating me of course. he's probably a basketball guy. but i could feel my phone vibrating a lot in my pocket and it was kinda throwing me off. i tried to ignore it but then my phone started ringing loudly. i groaned and stopped playing the game which made jack win.

he looked at me. "i won"

"yeah, i would have if whoever this wouldn't have called me" i said.

"you sure?" he said.

"yes." i said.

"nah, i think i still would have won" he said.