chapter thirty eight

lauren taylor,

i stood there by my front door as shawn had just walked away or more like ran quickly after saying he bought a ring and didn't explain it further.

what kind of ring did he mean?

i sighed and turned to walk inside but stopped quickly and remembered him saying to wait here so i did. i slowly sat down on the step before my door and i waited.

funny thing, i waited for a long time. like hours and i was still sitting on my doorstep starting to get cold so i stood up to walk inside when i heard car engine. i turned around and instead of seeing shawn, it was my uncle i think?

hailey and blake's dad. but what was he doing here?

"lauren" he walked closer to me.

"what are you doing here?" i asked him.

"it's about shawn..." he said.

my uncle was a police officer so the look on his face made me really nervous.

"where is he?" i asked.

"there was an accident, his father was there, i'm not sure but i think he may have hurt shawn really badly. he's in pretty critical condition."

"he's hurt?" i asked. "that's not fair, he can't be. please say it's a joke."

"i'm so sorry, i really wish i could." he said.

"just take me to him, please. just-"

"okay, come on." he said and led me to his car and drove me to the hospital where shawn was.

*

i gasped as i saw him through the window, he looked awful. he looked really bad.

"oh, god."

"he'll be okay, lauren." my uncle said.

i turned to him, "he told me to wait, he would be right back. he looked so happy, he had that glow in his eye. how could this happen?"

"this is a bag of his things," he handed me this clear bag with his clothes and other things that was on him when it happened.

"i can stay if you want,"

"no, that's okay. i'll be fine." i said.

"you have my number" he said and walked away, leaving me alone with a bag of shawns things.

i turned my back to the room shawn was in and i opened the clear bag and dig through the bag, until i felt something hard at the bottom so i grabbed it and slid it out the bag and gasped lightly when i saw it was a small black box. i opened the box slowly to see a diamond ring sitting in it.

"that's one pretty ring, you must be lucky." a lady said. i looked up to see a nice looking older lady in scrubs smile my way.

"uh yeah, i-i must be..." i said as i stared down at the ring.

i pulled the ring from the box and just stared at it as i bit my lip a little.

"this kind of ring..." i whispered to myself and kind of smiled at it.

"excuse me miss, shawn is awake and he's asking for you." a doctor said.

i spun around and tossed the black box back in the bag and saw shawn waking up. i rushed into the room and quickly rushed over to him.

"shawn..." i whispered as i grabbed his hand.

he groaned a little as he looked at me.

"laur..."

"no, it's okay. it's okay, shawn. you're okay." i said.

"no, i- my stuff. i need something from it."

"you need to rest," i said.

"no, i need it." he took the bag from my hands and started to dig through it fast. "oh, my god. where is it? why isn't it here? it was just-"

"shawn-"

"no, it was right here. right here, i don't understand-"

"what are you looking for?" i asked.

"the-the ring. i just went and got it from my old house and- and now it's just... where is the ring?"

"shawn, i'm wearing it" i said as i lifted my hand that showed the beautiful diamond ring on my finger.

shawn just looked at me, "what- how did... you're wearing it."

"yeah," i just smiled. "i'm wearing it."

"lauren..."

"you said you bought a ring but i didn't think that this was what you meant. but yes, my-my answer would be yes."

"i love you, lauren." he said. "i know we're young but i mean it when i say i want to be with you for the rest of my life. will you marry me?"

i just smiled and leaned down to kiss him softly. "of course i will."

he just smiled mid sentence. "lauren taylor, you are everything."

"so are you, shawn." i whispered.

——-

hi!
comment what your dream job is, i'm curious!
hope everyone is doing good <3
my dream job is to be a book author even though i suck at writing, but i love it!