The Worst Circumstances (Part 3) - Chapter 22

TW: This is set directly after
Shoutout to phanshion for helping me know what to do with this chapter. Thankssssssss... I don't know if she wants me to say her name so I won't say it. Anyways back to the story.

No-one's PoV

"Phil... Why?" Dan croaked, feeling so many emotions, more than enough to render him speechless. Phil just stared at the muddy water in the shame his brain threw upon him, and he considered breaking free of Dan's caring grasp to jump and avoid... This. "Phil... Please... Don't do this to me."

"This is ironic, isn't it?"

"H-Huh?"

"I stopped talking to you to save from the pain I could and was inflicting on you, and here I am again, inflicting more pain on you. Go away, Daniel. Pretend you never met me."

"No!" Dan shrieked, "I'm not losing two of the most important people in my life in the space of two months!" It was as if a spear had just been launched through Phil's broken heart, shattering the already fragmented pieces to specks of dust.

"Daniel please... Connor will tell you-"

"Is that what this is about?! B-Because of Connor?!"

"No, Daniel-"

"Stop calling me Daniel! Phil, you're my best friend!" He cried, crying into Phil shoulder as Phil started at the water, and then the protective arms that had wrapped themselves around his chest, and back to the water. After a moment of sobbing, Phil attempted to subtly unhook himself from Dan's protective arms. Dan, obviously noticed this, "If you jump, I jump!"

Those five words caused Phil to freeze, body stiffening. An agonising minute of anticipation occurred as Phil debated in his head, though jumping off with Dan's knowledge was no longer an option. "But Daniel- I..." The seemingly never ending waterfall of tears seemed continued to stream down his face, "Fine. Help me over?"

Of course Dan obliged, and Phil was safe again, much to his despair.

"I know you want answers, but I text my parents and my mum's going to come here soon, so can we go somewhere else? Please?"

"Okay, I know a place. Come on, Bub." They'd called each other Bub many times before, but this was the first time they would in person.

Truly, they'd met under the worst circumstances, but maybe that was for the best.