thirty

A few days later Penny and I were walking to home from school, her small hand in mine.

"Nell?" She said, breaking the silence that had fallen upon us like a blanket. "Can I ask you something?"

I smiled down at the small girl. "Of course."

"When do you think we're gonna go back?" She asked as she went to look up at me. "To Narnia, I mean."

I sighed before doing a small shrug. "I don't know, hopefully soon." She gripped my hand a bit tighter.

I gave her a small smile before we arrived at home. I pulled out my house keys and unlocked the front door.

Once we walked in it was oddly quiet. "Is Theo not home?" I asked Penny who shrugged.

We both walked into the kitchen to see a small note.

I got a date tonight so I'm not gonna be home until late but Mom said she'll be home early tonight. Don't burn the house down! - Theo

Penny and I both looked at each other before smiling.

"Theo has a date!" She giggled before jumping up and down like a mad man.

I laughed at the small girl. "How much sugar have you had today?" I joked and she stuck her tongue out at me.

"Are you hungry?" I asked her.

"Starving." She replied before sitting down on the counter. I smiled at the small girl before grabbed two apples off of the counter.

Tossing one of the apples to Penny I walked over to our living room and to the bookshelf.

Penny smiled at me while eating her apple causing me to let out a small laugh. I ran my fingers over the spines of some of the books before finally selecting one.

I looked at the book, my eyebrows meeting with confusion.

"What book is that?" Penny asked as she set her apple core down on the coffee table before walking over to me.

"I-I don't know," I began as I ran my hand over the front cover. "I've never seen this before, and I've read every single book here."

Suddenly the book began to glow. "Wha-" Penny began but was cut off when the book suddenly opened cause me to drop it on the floor.

A bright white light began slipping out of the book before covering the whole room. I immediately grabbed Penny's hand.

"Nell, do you think-" She was cut off by her own screams when we suddenly we pulled into the book.

It felt as if we were falling. Penny kept screaming from beside me before we finally hit the ground.

"Ouch." Penny whimpered as she tried to sit up.

"Penny? Eleanor?" I heard a very familiar voice say causing me to look up quickly.

"Caspian!" Both Penny and I said before standing up and hugging the man who had become like a second brother to us.

"I miss you guys so much!" He laughed before we pulled away from the hug.

"I miss you too." I laughed.

"Are Lucy and Ed here yet?" Penny asked. I began to get really excited knowing I would soon get to see them.

Caspian shook his head. "No, I guess you guys are the first ones here-" He was cut off by someone opening the door to the room we were in.