two

That night Theo, Penny, and I sat around our room. Penny was laying in the bed that her and I will share while Theo looked out the window. I, however, was looking at the bookshelf that was full of some many books I have never seen before.

I slowly ran my finger over the spines of each book as I read all their titles.

"I miss mommy." Penny said, breaking the blanket of silence that had fallen upon the room.

Theo and I both looked at each other before making our way over to Penny. Theo sat at the bottom of the bed while I sat beside Penny and wrapped my arms around her.

"I know, Pen." I whispered. "I miss her too." Penny began to quietly sniffle in my arms.

"We'll be home before you know it, Pen." Theo sat with a smile as he pulled both of us into a loving hug.

Suddenly I felt a feeling of annoyance fill me. Edmund.

Every since I can remember Edmund and I have been able to feel each other's emotions when they become strong enough. We've never told anyone because we knew they wouldn't believe us.

After a minute of having that feeling I decided to go find Edmund. I gently removed my arms from around Penny and made my way to the door.

"Going to go find your boyfriend are you?" Theo chuckled causing Penny to giggle.

I turned around to face them with a playful frown on my face.

"He's not my boyfriend." I stated as I playfully crossed my arms.

Theo laughed along with Penny. "Not yet."

I stuck my tongue out at the two as they laughed harder and harder. "I'll be back soon." I laughed.

As I made my way into the hallway I saw Edmund walking down it so I decided to follow him. Eventually he stopped at a window with a small seat under it. He quietly sat down and looked out the window with a sad look on his face.

"You okay Eddie?" I asked. He turned to me with a slight smile when I said his special nickname that only I'm allowed to call him. I sat down next to him and gently grabbed his hand.

"Yeah," He said quietly as his smile faded and returned to his usual frown. "I'm fine." I could feel that he was lying.

"Eddie." I said softly as I brought my free hand up to his cheek. "I know you. You aren't okay." He gently leaned into my touch.

Sighing softly he spoke again. "It's just Peter. He keeps trying to act like Dad. He always gets mad at me for the smallest things. He keeps telling me that I need to grow up and I'm just sick of it. Sometimes I think he hates me." He mumbled the last part as his eyes began to get watery.

"Hey, look at me." His dark brown eyes met my lighter brown ones. "He doesn't hate you. He just has a lot on his plate right now since your dad went to fight in the war. How could you ever think that you're own family hates you?" I said as I softly stroked his cold cheek with my thumb.

"You always know what to say to make me feel better." Edmund said as a smile grew on his face.

I smiled and removed my hand from his cheek. "Yeah, it's a gift." I then playfully flipped my hair to the side causing Edmund and I to burst into a fit of giggles.

After talking for a little while longer Edmund and I walked hand-in-hand back to our rooms which were across from each other.

Once we reached our doors Edmund pulled me into a tight hug. His arms around my waist while mine were around his neck.

"Thank you for always being there for me." He whispered. "Please don't ever leave me."

I laughed quietly and pulled back from the hug. "You couldn't get rid of me even if you tried." He smiled as a laugh escaped his mouth.

"Goodnight Nellie." He said with a smile still present on his face.

I smiled wide as he called me by my special nickname that only he can call me by.

"Goodnight Eddie." I said softly as we both then went into our rooms.

When I walked in I saw Theo laying on his bed across the room reading a random book while Penny sat playing with her doll on our bed.

"You seem happy." Theo said once he looked up from his book and saw the smile that rested upon my face.

"She's always happy after she sees Edmund." Penny giggled.

I felt my cheeks get hot. "T-That's just because he's my best friend." I replied as I climbed into the bed beside Penny.

"You totally like him." Penny smiled.

My eyes widened. "W-What? N-No. I don't like Edmund. That's ridiculous." I scoffed. Theo laughed from his side of the room.

"Yeah sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night." He then placed his book down on the night table beside him.

I knew my cheeks must've been insanely red given how hot they felt. I quickly grabbed the blankets and pulled them over my head as I laid down.

"Goodnight." I replied as I just wanted his conversation to be over.

Theo and Penny laughed quietly. "Goodnight." They both replied and eventually we all fell asleep.

At some point in the night however I woke up to Penny gently tapping me on the shoulder.

"Nell...Nell?" She whispered quietly. I turned over to face her only to see that her face was covered in tears as her bottom lip trembled.

"Penny, are you okay? What's wrong?" I asked as I gently brought my hand to her cheek and began to wipe away her tears.

"I had another nightmare." She whispered. Ever since I can remember Penny has had really bad nightmare. Usually the only happen a few times a month but ever since Dad died 2 years ago they have gotten much worse.

"Hey come here." I pulled into my arms as she trembled with fear. "It's okay, Penny. It was just a dream." I kissed the top of her head.

"B-But it felt so real." She choked out.

"Hey, look at me." I told her as a pulled away a little in order to see her face. "I am never, ever, gonna let anyone hurt you. I promise."

She smiled slightly before bringing her face back to my chest as she wrapped her arms around me tightly.

Then we both fell back asleep as we both held onto each other tightly.

...

For this chapter I really wanted to focus on building Nell's relationship with Edmund and her family. And can we just talk about how adorable Penny is???? I loooove her so much! And I am completely in love with Nell and Edmund's relationship oml my heart can't take it!!

not edited <3