What if: Joining the Circus

University of Tokyo

"Here we are, eating in front of each other", Yui sighed as she scoops on her bowl of soup. "Is it me? Or...everything is just so messed up", Sai violently shook her head. "Yeah. You rejected Kyouya and now you're chasing after Sei again. You failed on your practical exam. That partner of yours was sent to the hospital. Thanks to that, I have to cover the payment", Yui flicked her forehead. "Tehe! You're the future owner of Dad's company. That's just a... small change for you", Sai sank on the table. "What is it?", Yui stopped eating and crossed her arms. "You're scaring me. Is this an interrogation for someone who's convicted for a crime?", Sai covered her face. "You did committed a crime", Yui kicked Sai's foot. "How come you're so harsh now?", Sai whined.

"That night you rejected Kyouya, he called me... in the middle of the night", Yui informed. "Did you go?", Sai was intrigued. Yui shook her head and looked away. "I'm not in the right position to say this but... isn't it the right time for you to also tell him", Sai suggested. "And.. use the situation for my advantage? We're getting older already, Sai", Yui lectured. Sai was hit with her words.

We're getting older already.

"Are you telling me that I haven't yet matured?", Sai stood up. Yui face palmed. "Yeah, you're the girl. Someone who understands everything and everyone", Sai walked out. Yui chuckled and remembered how difficult can she be back in High School.

Tachibana Sayuri's POV

"I thought she can understand me", Sai kicked the rocks along the way heading out of the university. "Oh, Sayuri. I've been calling Yui. She wasn't answering", Kyouya suddenly appeared. How can..he talk to me so casually after that time?

I forced out a smile and told him that she was at the cafeteria. Kyouya-san thanked me and ran towards the cafeteria. This time, I can't help but to think that...

Everyone grew up and yet I'm still this childish brat who's trying to cling unto the Circus.

Holiday came...

We were standing in front of Sei's brother's resort. "Then, why are you here?", I had my poker face when I looked at Kyouya and Yui beside me. "I took a day off", Kyouya winked. "Father also asked me to join", Yui explained.

I grabbed them way far from Sei who was talking to Masaru. "Are you guys insane?!", I tried to scream while whispering. That took a whole lot of energy. Yui and Kyouya looked at each other. "Yeah, we're here ro ruin your every moment so be prepared", Yui gave a declaration. Kyouya-san just agreed with her.

Guest were gathered at the hall. Elites from different companies of the county were gathered just to hear Sei-san talk about his proposed project. After the talk, they all swarmed to him. Kyouya-san cleared his throat. "Don't forget the aid that Kisaki had done", he said loud as possible. "What is he doing?", I was about to ask Yui but she was missing. "Also, the Tachibana extends their congratulations", Yui held the mic.

These guys are really messing up this event. A hand grabbed on mine and he led me outside the hall. He wore sunglasses. "Se..", I stopped when he hushed me. "Those guys asked me that you have something to tell me", Sei-san tilted his head. I felt my heart beating so fast.

Messed up you say?!

They totally did!!!!

"Ahhh. Was I?", I held unto my palpitating chest. "Maybe it's not a good place to talk. I know a place", he led the way and we're going deeper to the mini forest. Are my eyes tricking me? How can a magical place like this appear before me?

"Brother built a hammock here for the kids to play", Sei-san informed. I walked towards it and just embraced the breath taking scenery. Sei-san sat at the hammock and looked at me. "Come sit", Sei-san invited. Since when... did I ever hesitated to be near Sei-san this much that I wanted to just disappear? My feet led me to walk towards him but every step feels like a dagger was set-up on the path. It's like telling me not to continue and just run away.

I finally sat next to him and felt his warmth. I was reminded... Sei-san is already a big star and I'm just... a brat who wanted to stay in the circus. "Man..I'm beat. How come they have so many question?", Sei-san held on his neck. "Massage?", I offered and raised my hands. He gave a smile but there was something on his smile that I didn't like. Those smiles were so foreign to me. I massaged his shoulders and stiff back. "You're good at this", he praised. "Uhmmm. When we go back to Tokyo...let's go somewhere you want to eat", Sei-san tried his best. This is what we're trying to do. We're trying hard to return what we had before but we can't.

I let go of his shoulders and turned around. "You're all so cool now", I commented.

TAKUMA Sei's POV

Sai's been acting weird, not to mention the both of us. It's like we're starting to be strangers again. "You guys are cool now. Yui nows how to respect space and she's really decisive. Kyouya-san's so matured about taking his rejection. And you, when I look at you... I think I no longer know who you are", Sai turned around and looked at me. "You're also... growing. You're not as demanding as before". Nope, she's just going to think that I'm saying it out of pity. I just remained silenced. What can I probably say to ease the tension?

"Maybe you're just caught up with the situations, we're still us. Kyouya and I are still best buddies. He can still be annoying at times. You and Yui are still sisters...what changed?", I climbed out of the hammock. "We did", Sai mentioned and made me speechless. "We did. This... this is not us", Sai's voice cracked. I looked at her teary eyes and felt sympathy with her. "Why?", I asked. "We weren't like this before", Sai looked up to stop her tears from falling. "What changed?", I asked further.

Sai wasn't able to talk. I went to her and held her hand. "Tell me. What do you see when you look at me", I tried to asked as gentle as possible. "You're getting brighter and brighter as days pass by. I can't even manage to look at you. I won't hide this feeling. I feel so small whenever I'm with the three of you. You guys already held your own titles. Specially you...", Sai's attempt to stop her tears failed. They fell like raindrops.

I closed my eyes.

I got my sunglasses and have Sai wear them. "Then, that way... you can look at me", I gave a smile. This time, it was a real smile. "The Takuma Sei who lived few meters away from your house. That guy whom you hanged out during Middle High and High school. That humble and nobody-guy...do you kind of like that guy?", I asked. Sai looked confused but she nodded.

"Then.. why would it be so hard to do the same for the guy who live miles away, who won't hang out with you even for a day since he's busy working, who's no longer that nobody and sometimes arrogant guy. Why would it be so hard for you to like them if both of still looks at you the same way. Still, the most important woman in his life?", I asked. Sai wasn't still responding.

"Can't you also... give a chance to look at me now that I've changed?", I patted her head.

Chapter end.