Arriana's Return - Chapter 4

For an older guy, he was handsome. His salt and pepper colored hair was always slicked back. The button-down blue shirt hugged tightly to his waist and stretched across his chest. Coach Marc Doare had been at Smithtown Senior High forever. Well, it seemed like forever. The swim team made it to WPIALS every year, his French class was always going on exciting field trips, and he didn't put up with anyone's bull. Arriana learned how to appreciate the toughness. It was helping her get in line and prepare for life after high school. This was, after all, her last year at Smithtown High before college.

"I'll see you on deck in five. Right, Miss James?"

"Already going! I'll be there in four."

"Good girl! When you get down there get everyone started on pre-meet workouts."

"Sure thing Coach. How do you come up with all of those workouts anyway?"

"It has taken me years to get them perfected. I've been working on them since I started coaching back in '92."

"Geez Coach just how old are you?" Arriana asked laughing.

"Quit procrastinating James and get your ass to the pool!"

"Okay, okay I'm going, I'm going. I'll see you on deck."

She glanced behind her and could have sworn his eyes were glowing red.

Not possible.

Her heart felt as though it were thumping in her throat as she turned and picked up her pace to a run. It felt as though she was being chased. It was a ridiculous feeling because she was obviously not being chased, but every fiber in her body told her to run.

Turning the corner on the first floor she ran into Deacon again.

"Wow, you are just in my way today." Arriana said jokingly.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Deacon apologized.

"Deacon, I was kidding." She looked at him, furrowing her brow, a bit concerned by his attitude, "Lighten up. You're so uptight anymore. What happened to you? You used to be, well, so different you know."

He frowned at her. "And how would you know what I'm like? You never talk to me anymore."

"I-I thought you stopped talking to me."

"Really? Why would you think I didn't want to talk to you?"

"Uh, seriously? Because you stopped talking to me," Arriana said.

He shook his head and turned away. "I didn't."

Arriana stood, now staring at the back of his head. He's being weird. Really weird.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing. Let's start talking again. Okay? Be friends?"

"Sure. Let's catch up. I have to go now though, because I'm late for practice, but I'll see you later," she said, shaking her head and waving.

He just looked at her, staring.

It was too bad she didn't take the weirdness more seriously. She might have found out that something was going on a lot sooner. She didn't though. The girl continued on with her day in ignorance. Not knowing her life was about to change drastically. The past she didn't know she had was going to catch up to her and she was going to be forced to make difficult decisions.