Arriana's Return - Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

"Yeah, I've got a few more. You know what; I should probably do my homework on the way to Easton," Arriana said groaning, thinking about the chemistry homework she had been given that afternoon.

"Me too. I have so much English to do."

The rest of the bus ride to Easton was silent. When they finally pulled into the parking lot, everyone looked up at the building. The school was large and very ominous looking and as if that was not bad enough the wind began to pick up even more as they stepped off. Arriana zipped her jacket up and pulled on her Tigers beanie. Pulling her bag up further on her shoulder, she headed towards the front doors as the snow and wind tried pushing her away. The girls' locker room was large and uninviting. Everybody changed quickly hoping to avoid any conflict with the Bears female swimmers and headed to the deck. Once everybody was in their suits and on deck Coach Doare began in on his usual spiel.

"All right, guys and gals. This is the big rematch. You know that you hardly ever have back-to-back meets against the same team. So, make this one count. You have been training hard all year. Do you want to give them the gratification of winning again? Do you want them to think that they can wipe the floor with you again? Do you want to let those poor excuses for swimmers take your victory? Do you want them to take YOUR title? Do you want to break with the winning streak you people have been on for the past four years? You are the better swimmers, the better team. You deserve to win this meet! To clinch the champion title again this year! Not them! Remember transitions with your IM's and make sure you finish breast and fly with both hands, not one. Now, let us go win this thing! LET'S TAKE HOME THE TITLE!"

After Coach Doare's speech, everyone started to cheer. He was always good at getting the team riled up. They all threw their bags on the benches and dove into the pool. Arriana stood next to the blocks for a few minutes scanning the bleachers looking for her family. She spotted them sitting front and center like always. Waving to them, she saw someone else she was not expecting. Deacon. He was standing at the back in the shadows just staring. He looked even more mysterious just leaning against the wall. She was trying to ignore him and get her warm up in but she just could not take her eyes off him.

What is he doing here? He never goes to meets at home let alone an hour away. Are he and Zoe a couple now? She would tell me if they were, wouldn't she? If they are, why is he staring at me instead of at her?

Trying to push the thought of Deacon to the back of her mind, she dove into the pool. The water was a lot colder than theirs was. Her breath caught for a moment, but she quickly regained her senses and pushed ahead. Even while doing the workout she could feel his intense blue eyes burning through her. After the quick warm-up, the announcers came over the loudspeaker.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Easton High. Tonight, we are seeing the rematch of Easton High's Bears against Smithtown High's Tigers. Everybody has been waiting anxiously for this rematch all week. I hope you are all ready because our first event is starting now. It is the 50 Freestyle. Swimmers, step up. Take your mark and," from somewhere in the pool area a buzzer sounded.

Hearing the loud buzz, everyone dove into the pool. With every breath she took, she could see Coach, Zack, and Zoe running alongside her. She must have had a decent lead because once she did her turn Zoe was jumping up and down, screaming. Laughing to herself, she pushed even harder. As soon as her hand hit the side of the pool, she ripped off her goggles and looked. She won. Not a big surprise. The 50 freestyle was not a big challenge for her. The one she was nervous about was the Inter Mediate. She had a little while to wait for that, normally she would be able to relax but was unable to tonight. Deacon was still standing in the guest section watching silently. Throughout the meet, she kept times for Coach Doare. She tried to split up her time between the meet and watching Deacon. She still had not figured out why he was there, and it was bothering her. He never moved from his spot. At one point, she looked over at Zoe and saw her looking at him as well.