Arriana's Return - Chapter 5

Chapter Five

What is wrong with that boy? He is so weird. She thought.

She shook her head and hurried away. Three and a half minutes later, Arianna was on deck, shouting out orders to everybody. Finishing, she threw her hair in a swim cap and joined her co-captain in the last lane to start on their workout. Theirs was always the hardest, which was fine by them. A leader leads by example not by order. If you cannot do what your subordinates do, how can you expect them to listen and follow without hesitation? This was one of the many teachings from Coach Doare. Give your troops something hard you get it ten times harder.

"All right Zack, you ready?" She challenged him.

"You bet Arianna." A wide grin spread across his face as he sarcastically said, "Let's get our asses kicked today!"

"Sounds like a good idea. You sure you can keep up with me this time?" She laughed.

"Oh, aren't you a big talker."

Coach Doare knelt down beside the pair, "You're both talking big for a couple of guppies who aren't swimming."

"We're going, Coach. Chill out, man." Zack replied mustering the biggest grin.

"I'll 'chill out' when you finish that workout, Zack. Oh, and it looks like Arianna has half a lap on you already." He motioned to Arianna as he got up and walked away.

"Ah, shit that cheater." Zack huffed.

"Well shut up and get going than."

The practice was a hard one. They had lost against Easton High School so their punishment was a week of excruciatingly hard practices. Arianna was always the last one out afterward. It was her responsibility to write up the progress reports, who finished what and who didn't.

The curse of being a team captain, I never get to leave with everybody else.