[natasha romanoff] tension

Warnings: natashaxfem!reader / girlxgirl, scissoring
Word Count: 2.2k

a/n: to anyone saying 'i'm not gay, but...', i hate to break it to you but you're a closeted gay.
psa: i'm only talking ab the straight ppl 👀

and to those genuinely unsure of their sexuality, not only do i hope that reading this can shed some light on that, but this comment section and my dms are always open for discussion and is a safe place of unconditional acceptance!
love, your queer, non-binary author <3

————————————————————

After another restless night, you sat on the counter beside the coffee machine, your Michael Scott mug positioned beneath the spout as you waited for your coffee/tea to brew. As you watched the liquid pour into the mug, you found the aroma comforting, warming and wakening your body. Once the machine stopped with a beeping noise, you removed your mug and added a bit of sugar and milk, hypnotised in the swirls as you mixed the liquid. You placed the spoon into the sink and made your way to the living area, where you curled up on the couch with your mug set on the coffee table, waiting for it to cool to a drinkable temperature. The deafening quiet of the tower haunted your ears, so you stood once more and made your way to the cupboard, where you pulled out the glass record player. Placing it on the table carefully, you lifted the lid before turning back to the shelf to choose a record. Your eyes scanned the rows of vinyl until landing on The Kinks' "Face to Face". With a small smile, you pulled it out of the shelf and briskly walked back to the coffee table, where you delicately lowered the record onto the spindle. As the record rotated, you positioned the cartridge anxiously before releasing it, the music soon filling the eery room. You sat back down on the couch with your mug in hand, taking a sip of the lukewarm liquid as you peacefully perched. As the record reached the relaxing song in "Sunny Afternoon", you noticed shadow movements to your left and whipped your head around. Steve slowly stumbled into the room, his hair messy and still in his pyjamas.

"Good morning, Stevie," you said politely, taking another sip of your beverage.

"Morning, [y/n/n]. What are you doing up so early?" he yawned, gesturing to the wall clock, which indicated the time as five o'clock.

"Couldn't sleep," you shrugged, finally finishing your drink. Energised, you stood up and moved into the kitchen, where Steve brewed his own coffee. You washed your dishes in peaceful silence before removing and putting away the record player and going to leave the room.

"Hey [y/n]?" Steve called after you, stopping your movements.

"Yes?" you responded as you turned around to face him again, walking back to sit on the black metal barstool at the marble-topped kitchen island.

"Would you mind going on a run with me soon? It gets a bit lonely when you're on your own out there," he asked with a small blush on his cheeks. You smiled and took up his offer before you left the room again to get ready. You discarded your KISS shirt and pulled on a navy blue Lorna Jane sports bra with cross over straps, followed by high-waisted gym shorts. You sprayed yourself in deodorant to kill off your gross overnight scent. After brushing through your soft [h/c] hair, you quickly moved to the bathroom to brush your teeth before pulling on your runners. When you returned to the living area, you found Steve sitting on the couch, ready for your run. Noticing your arrival, he stood up and escorted you to the elevator. You made small conversation as you both walked to the National Mall.

"Just go at your own pace and I'll meet you back at this tree in, say, an hour?" Steve said in somewhat of a question. You nodded in agreement and let Steve run off while you stood beneath the tree and stretched. Once your limbs were stretched and prepared, you took off in a mild jog to start off with. You continued running along the same track as Steve, who would pass you every now and then with thanks to the super soldier serum. You did about two laps of the long track, increasing your pace until you were sprinting for the last half of the track, before deciding to stretch and prepare for your combat training with Natasha beneath the tree you and Steve agreed to meet at. When Steve finally stopped running, you noticed that a thin layer of sweat coaxed his forehead, but he appeared as though he could continue for another few hours.