11: all ideas are good if you have the right mind-set to execute them

11
Pacifica

"So, what happened?" Mabel asked, taking a slow sip of her soda. "I mean, tell me everything."

I looked down at the coffee in front of me. "I dunno if I want to relive this."

"I'm sorry, Pacifica." Mabel sighed, "but I need to know."

"Okay," I took a deep breath and told her everything that had happened. As I told my story, I watched Mabel's expressions which were very vivid. That girl could be an actress.

"So, your friend Janessa stole your man?" Mabel frowned. "After it took you both so, freaking, long to get with each other? I'm sorry, but what the hell?"

"I know." I whispered.

"There's a code among girls and that is never date your best friend's man, exman, or even crush." Mabel pointed a finger at her, "she just broke Girl Code rule number 1."

"Well," I looked at Mabel, "she doesn't know."

"WHAT?!"

Everyone in the food court stopped what they were doing and stared at us. But when they saw it was Mabel Gleeful they all went back to doing what they were doing.

She frowned and looked at me once more, "what do you mean she doesn't know?"

"I didn't tell her about me and Dipper." I looked down at the table. "And looking back on it, it wasn't the smartest decision I've made. But at the show, when his eyes glazed over me, he didn't know it was me." I gestured to myself. "And it's not like I've changed. It's not like my eyes are different, it's not like my hair's brown or black now."

"Yeah, you haven't changed." Mabel slurped her soda. "Is that what you were talking about last night?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"You texted me saying that you were happy some things stayed the same." Mabel explained. "Were you subtly mentioning Dipper?"

"I don't even know anymore." I took a sip of coffee. "God, I'm just so confused."

"You shouldn't be." Mabel reassured me. "Don't you worry, Mabes is gonna fix this."

"Why are you helping me?" I finally had to ask.

"Excuse me?" She gave me a look.

"Well, we weren't exactly 'best friends' when we met." I explained using air quotations. "Even when I left we weren't really friends."

She let out a small laugh and tossed her purse over her shoulder. "You ready to go shopping?"

I nodded. "Yeah, let's go."

As we left the mall's food court, I tried one more time. "So, why are you helping me?"

She stopped walking and turned to face me, "because you're the best thing that has ever happened to my brother and I'll be damned if I see him throw the best of him away on some girl that isn't you."

Getting validation from Mabel made me feel good. She was a difficult person to impress or be liked by, and it was nice. "Thanks, so, what's the plan?"

"Well, Paz," Mabel grinned. "We are going to make you look like you are happy with where you are. You'll become irresistible to him, like a dog who gets a new chew toy."

When she saw my expression she coughed. "Not that you're a toy to him, but you get what I mean." She explained quickly. "And this plan has a few steps, mmkay?"