02: eating was the last thing on my mind

02
Pacifica

"Where are we?" I demanded, leaning towards the front seat.

"Relax, Paz." Janessa rolled her eyes. "We're almost in whatever Falls."

"Reverse Falls." I corrected. "Look, I wouldn't be asking this if it wasn't important, okay?"

Rachel, who had fallen asleep, shifted and groaned.

Janessa scoffed. "Alright alright. It's only a few miles away, lucky break too."

"And why is that?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"We needed gas anyways." She explained. "Why do we need to go to your cousin's house anyways?"

I gripped the seat with both hands. "I dunno, okay? He just texted me to hurry and that it was important."

"Fair." She murmured. "You think your cousin would answer a call?"

I nodded slowly and snatched my phone. I dialed Gideon's number quicker than ever possible and tapped my fingers on the armrest, praying that he'd answer.

"Hey this is Gideon, leave a message at the—" his voice cut off and a beep was heard.

"Hey Gideon," I held the phone to my ear. "You texted me saying this was important, what's up?" My head froze in terror, knowing it could be something to do with the magic that town possessed. But I couldn't let my friends know that. "Is it Uncle Bud? Did something bad happen to him?" I said instead. "Anyways, just call me back."

Janessa sighed. "If it were that important, don't you think he would've answered?"

"Right. . ." I murmured. If it were truly important, he would've tried to reach me any way possible. But what if something terrible happened? "I still wanna make sure everything's okay with him."

"So, what's the story?" She asked suddenly.

"I'm sorry?" I had gotten lost in my thoughts.

"Why does your cousin think he's in trouble?" She repeated. "You can tell me."

"Oh, um." I mumbled. "I'm actually not sure." I lied.

"You mentioned an uncle?"

"Oh, right." I nodded slowly. "It's probably my uncle."

"What about him?" She asked, keeping her eyes on the road. We had about 20 miles to go.

"He's gotten into some bad stuff." I shook my head, this was my worst lie yet. "And sometimes Gideon gets into trouble because of it. Nothing I can't handle, but I've always helped them."

Janessa nodded. "I see."

Rachel stirred and opened her eyes finally. "Hey, where are we?"

"This is Reverse Falls." I stated. "We're only stopping here briefly."

"And why is that?" She asked.

Before I could respond, Nessa beat me to it. "Paz's cousin needs help. Her uncle is mixed up with the Mafia."

Rachel gasped and looked at me. "Seriously?"