43: the only downside to being a Gleeful

43
Dipper

   Luckily, I was released from the hospital just in time to start prepping for the Gleeful Annual Mid-Summer Ball. The most stressful event I've ever had to corroborate. The most stressful thing for me, however, was somehow finding a way to tell my darling Pacifica that my parents would be there.

Mabel made a fuss over everything, exclaiming that setting up a formal ball would be so much easier with magic, but I hardly listened. I knew she was simply teasing me, or at least I hoped she was.

The second most stressful thing was that Pacifica still hadn't told me what color dress she was wearing. It scared the shit out of me because this needed to be perfect. After a mostly shitty first half of summer, I needed something to go right for me.

As I directed a few servants to handle the layout for the ballroom, I heard someone whistle behind me. I turned around and saw Gideon staring at the ceiling, nodding in approval.

"Pines," I stuck with formalities. I was still uncertain of how he felt of me after the whole incident with Janessa and Pacifica.

"Okay, Dipper," he nodded. "This is impressive. The fact that you're practically setting this entire ball up by yourself!"

"The only downside to being a Gleeful." I explained. "This has to be perfect in every way." I looked at the floor plans before turning back to the nuisance turned friend of mine. "You wouldn't happen to know where your cousin is, would you?"

Gideon shrugged. "Last I saw her, she was going to the mall to pick out a dress."

"Would you happen to know what color she's thinking?" I asked, trying desperately to hide my hopefulness.

Gideon snorted. "Nope, sorry, can't help you there, buddy."

I sighed. It was worth a shot.

"How are you handling life without magic, Dipper?" Gideon asked, walking closer to where I stood, still not facing him.

I bit my lip and pondered about how to answer that question. "In the past week I have held out my hand expectantly, waiting for the object I'm thinking of to materialize in my hand at least twenty times. So, some days are better than others."

Gideon laughed lightheartedly. "I'm sorry there wasn't another way, Dipper."

I shrugged once more. "Honestly, it's slightly relieving."

"How so?"

"Now I don't have to worry about supernatural creatures." I explained, being vague on purpose. "Handling them, dealing with them, they aren't my problem anymore."

Gideon seemed to agree. "I guess that's an upside."

"Yes and the biggest downside is not being able to figure out what color dress Pazzie is wearing!" I yelled, growing frustrated. "This is going to be the most important even of the summer, everything needs to be absolutely perfect."

"Aren't you being a little obsessive?" Gideon offered.

"I'm a perfectionist." I stated. "Also, my parents are going to be here."

Gideon gasped. "Your parents?! You have parents?"

"What?" I raised a brow. "Yes, of course I do. Doesn't everyone?"

Gideon shrugged, placing his hands into his jean pockets. "I kinda always assumed that you and your sister hatched from an alien egg or something. Or that a vampire bit you when you were kids."

"So I'm either alien spawn or a creature of the night?" I frowned. That was not the comparison I was hoping for. Although, I had to give him some credit for coming up with those metaphors.

"I just thought," Gideon mumbled, trying to find his way through this without insulting me further. Not that his insults bothered me in the slightest. "Well, they were never around, neither you or Mabel ever mentioned them so I guess I just thought you didn't have them."

I pressed my lips together in a thin line, mulling over how to answer his query without sounding completely heartless and cruel. "In all honesty, it would be better if I didn't have them."

"Dipper!" Gideon exclaimed. "What the hell?"

"Look, you have never had the pleasure of spending time with my mother or father." I shook my head. "I don't want them to be there, because, well, I'm slightly terrified of what they might say to Pacifica."

"I never knew Dipper Gleeful could be terrified." Gideon commented, clearly not listening to my entire monologue. "I thought you hardly felt emotions."

"Slightly." I replied through grit teeth. "Slightly terrified."

"Does Pacifica know?" Gideon asked. Then, he snorted. "No, of course she doesn't. Because if she did, she would be pacing around the Mystery Shack and worrying about how the hell she's going to impress them."

"How am I supposed to tell her?" I ran a hand through my hair. "I don't want her to worry about this, but I also don't want to spring this on her." I heaved a sigh and faced Gideon. "Pines, this is the only time you are ever going to hear this from me; what do I do?"

He grinned like a cat. "Okay, well, honestly, I think you should bring her back here and explain to her what the situation is."

I nodded, taking in this information. The only time I would ever ask for Gideon's help. And only because he knew Pacifica, the love of my life, very well.

Scratch that. I might have to ask him a lot more, due to the fact that my amulet was destroyed. I wouldn't be able to read her mind and figure out everything. Wonderful. Brilliant. Just. Brilliant.

I sucked in a breath through my teeth and sighed. The rest of the party planning and structuring could wait. I needed to tell Pacifica ahead of time, the servants could handle the big picture, couldn't they?

I walked swiftly out of the ballroom, Gideon close on my heels.

"Where are you going now?" He asked.

"To the mall, I have to tell Pacifica about this." I replied, not straying from my fast pace even as Gideon slowed. "Wish me luck."

"Best of luck to you, man." Gideon nodded solemnly. "Don't die, or something."

"I'm certain it will be fine." I clenched my teeth and nodded.