35: curtains rise at ten

35
Dipper

After I got out of the shower and cleaned myself up a bit, I decided to tell Pacifica something that she didn't really expect.

"The plan has to be in motion by tonight." I said. "It has to be."

"Why?" She scooted closer to me.

"I'm sick of the constant pain I'm in with this mark on my chest and I'm sick of the constant shadow hanging over my head." I explained softly, looking at her, seriousness written on my face. "You're scared about this, I know, but it has to happen."

"I get it." She eventually admitted. "But I'm not so sure we're ready!"

"We are." I promised. "The plan will work, everything you thought out in the brilliant head of yours will work out."

"You flatter me." She rolled her eyes and it brought a smile to my face. "But are you sure this has to happen?"

I nodded, sure of myself.. "Yes, I'm absolutely sure that this has to happen."

"Okay," she whispered. "I'll call Mabel and Gideon."

As she walked out of my room, I felt sick. I was torn between wanting to finish this, and waiting. I was actually kind of scared. But as soon as I let Pacifica know that, she would shut down the entire operation and I would be stuck.

I glanced down at my phone, not surprised that it was dead. I went down the rabbit hole the night prior, I couldn't stop thinking about everything that had happened in a span of an hour and a half yesterday.

After Scarlett told me she loved me last night and disappeared, I called her a million times. But every time I called, she never answered.

"God," I groaned and laid my head in my hands. "Why the hell does everything have to go so terribly wrong for me?"

* * *

When both Mabel and Gideon arrived, I finally decided to join them in the sitting room, over brunch. Gideon was still looking mad at me, likewise with Mabel. Ah, so nothing had changed with Gideon. Just like it had always been.

Pacifica, however, didn't appear mad at me at all, but I still felt that she was, and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe it was because I felt that she should have been mad at me.

"Alright, you both know why we're here." I started. "We have to execute our plan tonight. We're ready for it."

"Why the sudden need for change, Dipper?" Mabel dared to ask me.

"I'm sorry, but would you like to be marked for death?" I whirled on her. Seeing the look on her face made me change my tone. "I just would like to get it done with." One way, or another. . .

"Alright, have we worked everything out in our plan?" Pacifica asked, looking at the rest of us. "I know we practiced it, but does it work?"

Gideon shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "I think it works, we could try it but," he glanced at me, a little less hatred in his eyes, "it is your life on the line, Dipper."

I nodded. "I'm aware of the consequences."

Pacifica looked intently at me. "This is serious, Dipper!"

"I'm taking this seriously, Pacifica." I frowned and looked away from her. "Pines," he glanced up at the moment his name left my lips. "You're certain this might work?"

"It has a 0.4173822920 percent chance of working."

"Seriously? You couldn't round that to point 5?" I closed my eyes for a brief moment before continuing. "Regardless, this is rather serious, I need to know that you all are one hundred percent on board before we continue."