59: g minor seventh -saddest of all chords

59
Pacifica

   I was leaving Reverse Falls in a little over twenty-four hours. My mom had asked if I wanted her to drive and get me considering how I didn't have my car here, but I had turned her down in favor of the bus. I would've felt bad making her drive all the way to Reverse Falls just to get me.

   I rubbed my eyes, got out of bed (officially) and checked the time. It was a quarter past eight, and I had several messages. A majority of them had been from Mabel, asking to come shopping with her around three that afternoon, Gideon had asked if we could go eat at Greasy's at noon for old time's sake.

   Shrugging on a hoodie, yes it did belong to Dipper, I pulled my hair into a messy bun. It wasn't one that most girls spend hours doing trying to get it just right, no, I just pulled my hair up, twisted it, and secured it with a scrunchie, not caring how it looked.

   I walked downstairs and was immediately overtaken by the smell of freshly made pancakes. I slowly crept into the kitchen and saw Dipper standing by the stove. On the counter next to him, his phone lay playing a soft melancholy tune. Piano, most definitely.

I stood in the doorway just watching him make breakfast and hum to himself.

"G minor seventh —saddest of all chords." He murmured, flipping the last pancake onto a platter. He turned and when he saw me, I half expected him to jump and scold me for not mentioning I was there.

But all he did was smile softly and place the platter onto the nicely set table. "Good morning, sweetheart."

"You coulda woke me up, y'know?" I walked fully into the kitchen and stared at him. "I would've loved making breakfast with you."

"Well, I wanted to make breakfast for you." Dipper countered. "Besides, I woke up early enough to do so. It's nearly nine now."

"I'll never understand how you do it, Dipper." I shook my head, "how you continue everyday, without fail, to wake up at seven."

"It's schedule, Pazzie-darling." Dipper quipped. "It was broken into me at a young age. It has been a long time since I've slept past it. Save for the time I was in the hospital."

I nodded in agreement, half-listening to him and half-listening to the piano chords played over his phone. "Did you play this piece yourself?"

"I might've." Dipper glanced at his phone. "I must admit, it has been awhile since I played for an audience, Pacifica."

"I like when you play piano." I murmured, "it's soothing."

Dipper nodded, walked over to his phone and turned it up a bit, walked back over to where I stood and held out a hand to me.

I laughed lightly. "I could barely dance at the ball, Gleeful, and that was when I was fully conscious. What makes you think I can dance better now?" But, regardless, I took his hand.

"I dunno, Southeast," he pulled me in closer, "it's just something I want to do with you."

We swayed back and forth to the music for a bit, just holding onto each other. I was relishing every second I spent with Dipper that morning.

After a few minutes, the music stopped and Dipper and I just stood in the center of the kitchen, just holding each other.

"Well, we should probably eat now, wouldn't want them to get cold." Dipper pulled out a chair for me to sit down on. "I do believe you have quiet the day ahead of you."

"Yeah, I've got lunch with Gideon at noon," I piled a few pancakes onto my plate, "and then shopping with Mabes at three."

"I see." Dipper took the seat opposite me and glanced down at the singular pancake on his plate.