Ray Manzarek #1

Ray's POV

There is this cute girl who's in my class who kind of have a crush on. Her name is Y/N L/N. She is really pretty and I want to impress her with my keyboard skills. She doesn't really know me that well but she always smiles at me in class. My band, the doors, decided to be part of the talent show this year. After all our lead singer, Jim Morrison is one of the hottest guys in school, so girls would be willing to see him perform Light My Fire. I just hope Y/N isn't one of those girls who is into him, that would be my worst nightmare.

We were planning on performing the 7 minute version of Light My Fire so I can do my keyboard solo. We could do the 2 minute version but we decided against it. I needed to let my keyboard skills shine on stage that night. 

Talent Show Day

Jim, Robby, John, and I are backstage when suddenly one of the teachers came and said, "Guys, this is really important so please obey the rules. Anyways the point is you need to change your lyric 'Girl, we couldn't get much higher' to 'girl we couldn't get much better."

"How about 'girl -"Jim starts to say but gets interrupted.

"No, Jim, you are changing it to 'better' since we don't want the references to drugs in our performance" the teacher says and leaves.

"Well he's fucked up," Jim mutters under his breath. I could tell he was annoyed.

I look out to see who's in the audience and I saw Y/N. I gulp nervously and hope I don't make any stupid mistakes. 

Robby and John notice that I'm looking at her and Robby teasingly says, "Oooh! Ray likes a girl!"  

"And he wants to impress her" John adds and starts laughing.

I punch them both playfully and say, "Shut up guys. One day you'll be trying to impress a girl with your drums and guitar too."

"What are you guys talking about?" Jim asks, joining in on the conversation.

"Ray has a crush on girl!" John blurts out.

I punch him again and say , "It's no big deal, really."

Jim starts to laugh and then starts whispering stuff to John and Robby who also laugh. I'm pretty sure that they're talking about me but I just ignore them. 

We wait backstage for a while and then finally it's time for us to perform. I sit next to my keyboards and bass while everyone else gets ready. Before starting, I take a look at Y/N. It's my time to shine. 

We start playing and Jim starts to sing. I don't know if Jim forgot or he just chose to do so, but he said the word 'higher' and I could hear the teachers gasp. Jim didn't care, he kept singing. Then it was my turn to do the keyboard solo. Jim sits down next to me shaking maracas. I think we made the solo too long because it was more than 9 minutes but I didn't care, I was just glad that I got to perform on stage.

Y/N's POV

Today was the talent show and this band in my school named the Doors performed. They are also famous outside of school but they decided to perform their most famous song 'light my fire' for the talent show.

Light My fire is my favorite song by them because of the long 5 minute keyboard solo by Ray who I kind of have a crush on. My heart beats fast when Ray plays the keyboards. I get nervous seeing him.

Anyways here he is playing the long keyboard solo to light my fire for the talent show. For some reason the teachers freaked out when Jim said higher. I didn't exactly understand why though. 

Most of the girls at my school have a crush on Jim and they look at him during the performance. I think Jim is cute but Ray's even cuter. I love Ray but I don't think he likes me back.

The performance just ended so now they were giving out awards. The Doors didn't win anything which is kind of disappointing because they deserved an award. I decided to make my way backstage after they gave out awards. It was my chance to talk to Ray.

It was so crowded with fan girls who like Jim but I just pushed them so I can find Ray. I found him sitting down on a box so I sat next to him.

"Hi Ray," I say nervously.

"Hi Y/N,"

"You did an amazing job back there," I say trying not to blush.

"Thanks," Ray says and he smiles a bit. 

"I wish you guys could of won an award," I say

"Well we would of won an award if Jim didn't say 'higher'," Ray says and laughs a bit.

"Why were the teachers shocked when Jim said higher?"

"Well this teacher came backstage and told us that we had to change the lyric Higher to better because of a reference to drugs. But Jim kept the original lyric"

We laugh and we talk for the rest of day. That is until one of the teachers walks in and kicks us out. 

Ray and I walked out of school, holding hands, I didn't realize that until we got to my house. 

"You'll be at school tomorrow right?" Ray asks

"Why wouldn't I be?" I laugh

"Well I have a question, do you want me to drive you to school?"

"You would do that, for me?"

"Of course I would!" Ray says.

"Yes! I'd love to!"

Ray smiles and gives me a peck on my cheek and leaves. I blush and smile and walk inside my house.