Chapter 19

I heard the front door open and close, so I stepped down from the attic. "Blue...? You home?" It was way too quiet... I go to my room and take the gun from a hidden compartment in my wardrobe and take my phone from my pocket. "Hello...?" Posey answered. "Hey, feeling a little unsafe, just place the facetime on record if something bad happens, okay?" Posey nods and I guess she does that.

I walk out of my room, I held my phone so I can see if anyone was behind me as I explored the house. "Whoever's out here, come out with your hands where I can see them!" Someone jumped out from the corner with their hands behind their head and were immediately on their knees.

"D-don't shoot! I-I'm sorry, please don't shoot," they stuttered. I noticed poofy red hair and ginger freckles spotting their body. Scared emerald eyes and a relatively casual outfit though, she was very small and looked rather malnourished. "Who are you?" I ask, lowing my gun slightly. And placing my phone, camera outwards, in my pocket again.

"M-my name is E-Elita I-Izawa," she stutters. "How did you get in?" I ask. That name sounded familiar... "P-picked the lock..." I raise an eyebrow. "Why did you come here?" I ask. Elita hesitates. "I-I head p-police o-o-officers lived here... I-I needed a-assistance but I-I c-couldn't just call... t-they think I-I'm robbing the house- I just-" she sobs and breaks down into tears on the floor. "Oh my..." I hear Posey go softly. "T-they're t-t-tracking my p-phone a-and h-hear everything s-so I left it b-behind just- please! Please, help me," she was coughing and hiccupping.

"Who's they?" I ask. "M-my parents..." Elita stuttered with a cough. "Fuck, okay just-" I groan. "Stay here," I bolt back to my room and grab handcuffs. I didn't trust this girl. When I came back she was still on the floor, though crying less and mostly looking scared and confused. I hand cuff her to the kitchen draw (far away from anything sharp, mind you) and pat her down looking for a phone. Like she said, there wasn't one on her.

Posey had hung up to do I don't know what while I was pacing. I mean, a teenager just appears with thief (I think, Izawa was still a familiar name) like parents asking for help. "Miss, are you a cop?" Elita asked, sniffling. "I was, I quit the force, still allowed a gun and handcuffs,"

"Why did you quit?" Elita asked.

"Why don't you tell me about your family?" I return, making her pale. "Uh... m-mistress... my mother-" not a good sign. "-she's kind of mean... she doesn't care about anything but money... a-and Sir- uh- father just drinks, and smokes... and sometimes kills people..."

Her "family" was a goddamn mafia.

I soft knock on my door snapped me out of my trance and the door creaked open. Elita paled and her breathing quickened. I grabbed my gun from the counter. Posey poked her head in and I sighed, loosening my grip on the firearm. Elita sighs, much deeper than I had, in relief.

"Are you okay?" She asks. "M'fine, I just have a teenage criminal handcuffed in my house," I sighed. "I can call (F/n)-"

"No- no- it's fine, I just- she needs to be calm, and I think I have one of those lie detector things," I think to myself. "Posey, watch her," she nods and I jog up into the attic once more. I tear open one of the boxes, thankfully finding that I was looking for, and carried it down. Posey was talking to Elita about "feelings" and "being more open". Posey and I ignored the other as I set up the detector and she kept soothing Elita.

I pin the detector to Elita. "So, you know how this works?" I ask. "I think so... I just have to answer honestly?" I nod. "Yep,"

"How old are you?" I ask. "Thirteen," she replied. "Small thirteen-year-old," I comment. "I'm eleven," she replies. "That's more like it..." I was still stunned. She was small and lacked enough food to grow properly and was probably beat. "You say your parents trained you to steal?" She shook her head. "My parent's subordinates trained me, they all hurt me... they all hurt each other, actually,"

"Is Elita Izawa your real name?" she shook her head. "The family name is Carlotta, Izawa is the "business" name, Elita is my real first name" Elita says. "Is this standard police procedure?" Posey asked. "I probably asked the questions in the wrong order but I don't care," I replied. Elita stifled a giggle.

I noticed the sun beginning to set out the kitchen window. "I guess I should go home, animals to take care of," Posey says. "You going to be alright?" I nod. "We'll be fine, the house... it'll be secure," I confirm. Posey nods and then leaves. "I take it you don't wanna go to the station?" Elita shakes her head, I sigh.

"Is your family expecting you back?" I ask. "I don't think they'd care unless it's confirmed I was caught, they'll probably think I ran off with the money," Elita shrugs. "Okay, okay, uh-" I didn't know what to do. "I suppose you could stay here... maybe," I sigh. "Depends on what my roommate says,"

"...Did you know that when you sigh you let out a little happiness?" Elita asks. I look at her, then chuckle. A little random fact to lighten the mood, huh? "Sighing is actually a common way for your body to physically cope with stress. It releases tension. Every time you sigh you become a bit more relaxed and at ease," I counter. Elita chuckles.

I didn't let her off the handcuffs, but I did pack the lie detector away back upstairs. I closed the fake wall, also effectively hiding my case map and I helped Elita to the couch (she was handcuffed to me) and we watched tv.

The doorknob jingled and (F/n) walked it. They froze when they saw a small preteen handcuffed to me. "Whaaaaaaattttt?" They asked. "She can't go to the police, she can't go home, we're hungry," I simplify. They blink. "Where's she supposed to sleep?" They asked. "My room, we can sleep together," They blink again, and silently go to their room.

They came back soon, changed from their uniform, and made dinner. They asked Elita similar questions I had and she echoed back the answers she gave me. Then we went to bed, I handcuffed Elita to the head of my bed and then went to bed in (F/n)'s room.

"Yo, Red?"

I hum.

"Is looking after this kid really a good idea?"

...

"Red?"

"I'm not sure... I just... Y'know the lie detector? I used that on her and her story is true..."

"Yeah, but, this house barely has enough room for us... aside from the weird secret rooms that don't actually count... plus you don't have legal care over her,"

"Her parents don't deserve legal care of her..."

...

...

She sighs. "...Goodnight, Red"

"...night Blue,"