Grow As We Go

Ryleigh
Three months passed by quickly. A lot of time was spent writing music, going to school, and helping mom. She was really starting to show now. She was almost through the second trimester. Jenna was starting her third. Meagan was due any day now.

Pete wasn't over as often because they had to prepare for the baby about to be here. Today was a Saturday and I had to get ready. Jenna, Debby, and I were going shopping for dresses for the wedding. It was the end of May. The wedding was in August. Jenna was also due the end of July, beginning of August.

A car horn beeped. "Bye!"I called through the house and pulled the door closed as I greeted Debby and a pregnant Jenna sitting in the front seats. I put my seatbelt on. "Are you excited?"Jenna asked as she turned to smile at me and rubbed her tummy. "Yeah! I can't wait,"I said with a smile to match her happiness. It was contagious after all.

We blared some of Twenty One Pilots new album demos. It was called Trench and I honeslty loved every second. When we went into the dress shop, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the dresses. Even though she could have had anything, she chose to shop the old fashioned way. We gathered up dozens of dresses before we headed to the dressing room. Jenna was mostly giving us opinions because she would need alterations anyway.

The colors were traditional white with maroon bridesmaid gowns. Debby had already tried on several, none of which felt right. I gasped as the door opened again. That was the one. It had a mermaid top but with thin lace covering her shoulders down to her wrists. It wrapped around with sparkly things and glitter all the way to the trail. "How's this?"she asked and turned to see the mirror. "That's the one,"I said as Jenna agreed.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate trying on dresses? Some weren't bad but I had tried on almost all of them and none of them suited me. Of course, I was super particular since everything that happened a few months ago. I was still healing and still pretty sensitive.

The one I picked had two spaghetti straps and a mermaid type top. I felt really self conscious. It was maroon with little gems going down the middle of my breasts with sparkles spreading out around. It went down to my feet. We were all ordering vans to wear. "That's the one!"Debby said happily and placed the order for the few other bridesmaids including Jenna. We grabbed lunch at Dairy Queen after before we went home and I took a nap. I was exhausted.

************

The weekend passed by quickly. I found myself running towards the school. I was late. Again. I heard the bell ring and knew it was too late. I sighed and made my way to the office. Looking in the window, I saw a girl in all black standing anxiously at the office desk, speaking with the lady there.

I was so awkward as is. Deciding I couldn't prolong it any longer, I carefully pushed the door open. "Ah, Ryleigh! Perfect timing!"the lady at the desk said with a smile. I rolled my eyes internally at her over cheery manner. It was too early for this. Realizing I wasn't responding, she spoke again.

"This is Miss Logan Blake. You're going to be her assigned buddy. Show her around school,"the woman said. I sighed. I didn't wanna bail on the girl but I was worried I would be called to leave. We didn't know when Meagan was having the baby but when the call came, it came. I took my pass and looked at her schedule. She had all but one class with me. By the looks of it, she had art with Sam.

We walked down the hallway slowly, taking our time. I tried to start small talk but she wouldn't talk. Finally, she pulled out a pad of paper and a pen. I understood then that she didn't speak. "Sorry that you were drug into being my buddy. I'm Logan by the way and I'm mute,"she wrote. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Ryleigh and don't be. I wasn't drug into anything,"I said with a smile. I noticed her sign languaging along with the song in her headphone.

"Teach me?"I asked. She shrugged. Sign language was so cool. I wished I could learn it. I explained to the teachers our situation. The lunch bell rang at last. "Let's go!"I said and grabbed her wrist, pulling her behind me to the cafeteria. She looked worried. "It's just the cafeteria. I have a few others waiting,"I explained.

She shrugged and we sat down at my normal table. Adam and I had gotten almost normal again. I introduced her and offered her half of my lunch as we chatted. Logan offered little, instead tuning into her phone and headphones. My phone started buzzing in front of me with Pete's name blazoned across the top. It was time. The bell rang and I took off through the halls. I didn't realize I had lost Logan until it was too late.

Pete was calling to tell me Patrick was here. Meagan finally went into labor and they just arrived at the hospital. Patrick seemed more nervous and excited than me on our way to the hospital. I bounced my leg up and down in anticipation. We went up to the waiting room since neither of us were allowed nor particularly wanted to be in the room.

We were there for hours with several trips to the cafeteria. Pete appeared in the hallway. We stood up. He and Patrick hugged with happy tears on Pete's face. Marvel Jane Wentz was born May 24th at 2:53 am. She was so tiny. Pete had taken me back with him so I could meet her and they allowed me to hold her.