Ghost of Ohio

Ryleigh
I was laying on the couch, bored out of my mind. School had ended and everyone was busy. Mom was laying next to me. "Ry, do you want to start getting the baby's room ready?"she asked out of no where. We hadn't found out the gender yet but we would soon. Her bump kept growing bigger. She was due closer to the end of August, beginning of September. I shrugged. I missed tour but it was time for a break. They were working on the new album and I didn't see Dallon as often either because they were writing and recording as often as possible.

Mom pushed off the couch and I followed her upstairs. The baby's room was across the hall from mine although for the first month or so he or she would be in Mom and Dad's room. We had a crib and changing table already set up in the center of the room since we had to paint. The car seat was yet to be installed. We had settled on a light grey. The crib and changing table was white.

I called Dad. He answered right away and came to our aid in opening the large 5 gallon paint can. We poured some and each took a separate wall. It's a good thing we covered the floor and furniture. We ended up coated in paint. Some of it came from goofing around and throwing it at each other.

I had paint on my hands, clothes, face, hair and arms. I heard my cell phone ringing and felt around, trying to find it. I found it sitting under the cloth over the baby's changing table. Caller ID told me it was Oli. "Who is it, Ry?"Mom asked. "It's Oli,"I answered with the surprise displayed clear in my face and voice. "Well, answer it,"she said. With shaking fingers, I accepted the call.

"Hello?"I called into the phone. "Ryleigh, hey, I have a question for you,"Oli said, sounding overly happy and excited. "Yeah, what's up?"I asked. "So, Warped Tour is coming up this year and we were invited to play,"he said excitedly. "Yeah, that's awesome,"I said, confused. I didn't understand how I fit into this.

"We want you to come and sing with us. We're going to record some new songs for the new album and we could use your help,"Oli said. This was a shock, it left me speechless. "Ryleigh, you still there?"he said. "Yeah,"I choked out after a couple minutes. "So, what do you say?"He asked. "Uh, I'll have to ask my dad first,"I said. Dad was furiously nodding his head at me and I knew he heard the whole conversation. "Actually, that was easier than I thought. I'll do it,"I said. "Awesome. See you in a week,"he said.

*******

That week was one of the quickest of my life. Looking at the calendar, I would miss one week of shows in the south because of Josh's wedding. I was so excited. Dad helped me book a flight to the East Coast to meet up with the guys. We started in New Jersey and went up before moving south and west.

"Are you sure you packed everything?"Dad stressed for the dozenth time that morning. Mom was tiredly rubbing her pregnant tummy. We were putting my things in the back of the car to go to the airport. I was so nervous. I tied my hair in a messy bun and put a beanie on top of my head, tucking my hair inside. My new glasses had just come in so I pushed them onto my nose. My vision wasn't horrible. I was near and far sighted though which was a real pain in the ass.

Fans wouldn't know me this way. I wanted to talk to Dad most likely after tour because I wanted to get a couple tattoos and maybe dye my hair. I kind of wanted a couple of piercings too. The car ride was full of dad going over things I should and shouldn't do. They walked me inside.

Luckily, we weren't stopped by any fans. I hugged them tightly before my flight was called and I boarded all alone. I had a window seat, my favorite. I shoved earbuds in my ears and listened to my favorite bands drown out everything that was too loud. My eyes closed and I fell asleep.

A flight attendant woke me as the flight was landing. I jumped, startled. "Sorry, Miss, I didn't mean to startle you,"she apologized. "It's okay,"I said with a smile and gathered my carry on backpack and bass before the plane landed then made my way off. I grabbed my suitcase and went to look for Oli. There was so many people, it was suffocating. I didn't see them anywhere. My phone dinged with an Instagram notification.

There was a photo of the airport parking lot I was tagged in.

@olibersykos: nothing like early mornings at an airport waiting for @ryleighdunurie to get her arse out to our car xoxo

@ryleighdunurie: love you too Oli. I'm on my way. It would've been easier if you'd led with I'm in the parking lot 😂

@jordanfish: hurry up! We've missed you. By we've we mean everyone but Oli as you can clearly tell by his post instead of a text 😂 @olibersykos

@olibersykos: you're picking a war @jordanfish don't listen to him Ryleigh I missed you sooooo much I had to let the whole wide world know. We're in the parking lot

I rolled my eyes and found their car parked at the curb. I tossed my suitcase and bass in the trunk of the minivan and climbed in next to Jordan and Oli. Matt was driving and Lee was napping in the backseat. Mat was in the passenger seat. "I've missed you!"Oli said, instantly hugging me. "You too!"I said, returning the hug. It hit me then that I never told Adam I was leaving. I hadn't really talked to him since the party. "Get ready for the best tour of your life. We're headed to the buses at the venue!"Jordan said excitedly The excitement was contagious. I couldn't wait for this to begin.