Chapter 41

Ruth's POV

I looked at the body across from me. Is she dead?

The can jerked our bodies making her body tilt. The cut on her head appearing gross as ever. Blood puddled around her.

"Is sh-she dead?" My curious self asked scared that I'll be in more trouble.

"Bloody hell, Ruth, why the hell did you slam her into the door?" his head jerked against the seat in frustration.

I repeated clearly, "Is she dead."

He shook his head and laughed like this was some kind of joke. "No she isn't." He lifted himself out of the car and shut the door, making myself startled. I stared at Kristal for what felt like minutes letting the guilt rush over me. I have never physically hurt someone or something. By far chances, I know that Richard has been in this situation many times. I heard the latch on the door open and both of the doors pull open with very strong force. 

I stood on my knees examining the scene set in front of my eyes like it was one of my movie scenes. Richard tilted her face from side to side to look at how badly her head was. I knew she was in pretty bad shape. Richard told me that she was still breathing which made my mind steady. 

We parked in the back entrance of the abandoned building. I caught a sight of my black car that park west of the building. The warehouse itself looked like it was going to collapse in pieces. Withered paint coated its side and the other walls were made out of stone. It looked like a hideout for prisoners. My boots kicking the scattered rocks, I followed behind Richard who carried Kristal's helpless body. 

The amount of hatred I had for her equals to the amount of guilt I had in myself. I mean, I know she stole Theo away from me but has this girl been through enough? No, no. 

My hand grabbed my injured left arm. During the attack between Josh and I, he pushed me towards the wall making my arm ram into the picture that hung on the beige wall. I never knew that he had enough force. Inspecting the cuts, I winced at the heavy metal gun that sat on my hip. The cold metal bearing against my hand as my fingers traced the outline of the barrel. 

I stood there, by the back entrance, looking at the bare slightly painted walls. Some of the color was faded or ripped upon years of use. Just like my memories. No matter how many times this building has been ripped apart to be law firms, work places, offices, it will still have left over traces. 

My heart raced as Richard stopped in the middle of the abandoned room where a chair was gently placed. The rope in his hands fell to the floor making the metal cling against the hardwood floor. Wooden boxes scattered around the area, covered by a thick layer of newspaper. I watched as he ties the poor girl bound to the chair like some kind of punishment. Her injured head swayed from side to side as he tightens the rope around her torso. The bump showed from her light shirt. 

I bit the inside of my mouth not wanting to say anything. I knew I was working with a dangerous criminal. I shouldv'e thought twice about this. What if I hurt the baby? I mean I have hatred for her and so should Theo, but that was an innocent baby in there. 

I raised my voice to say something but nothing came out. It was like I lost it. I raised to speak again, "Don't tighten it so much." 

He laughed as he undid the rope letting some room for Kristal to slowly breathe. "I thought you hated her." He worked on tying her ankles together, breathing heavily at some moments. 

"I don't want to hate the baby." 

"Those babies were made from that Theo guy's love for her. The love that was supposed to be yours," he knotted the rope to secure her ankles.

I sighed, "The baby is innocent." I clawed my teeth. 

His breathes came out like a dragon's fire, "No one is innocent."

Kayla's POV

I toyed with the phone in my hands as Harry tried to sit up. He groaned at the sudden contact with pain. I helped him up by using both of my small hands to surport his weight. "You just got shot." 

He slumped back in the hospital bed, "Isn't it obvious?" He reached for his phone on his right. "My head is pounding." 

"You didn't listen, you need some rest, babe." I reached for the pillow that was on the make-shift bed I made on the uncomfortable couch. The pillow louged in between him and the other pillow. He sighed in defeat. 

"When can I go see Ansel?" his voice sounded pleading almost desperate. He cared about his friend so much. I've checked on him a couple times when Harry was asleep. Hasn't responded at all. The cords wrapped around him made me sick to my stomach. The other lad, I think his name was Josh, but he's in recovery. Shot in the arm, nothing too serious. The only person that was in the worst condition was Ansel. He laid there lifeless almost, the machines indicating that he wasn't dead. His heart beat slowed and quicken making him transfer to another hospital room. 

The room, I remembered, was the closest to the desk where the nurses could easily check on him. One of the walls were glass making them examine him. Nurses changed shifts monitoring him. The flowers, still fresh, sat on the stand. Untouched as always. It's been only a couple hours but the doctor told me that he was going to wake up. Well a rare chance of him not going to awaken from his coma.

I retrived my thoughts back to Harry who looked at me cluelessly. "When can I got see Ansel?" he repeated again. Now his tone of voice sounded desperate.

I kissed his cheek goodnight, "Sometime, babe. Sometime."

"Okay?" he smiled.

My eyes watered, "Okay."