Truth

I decide to take a detour to my parents home before going back to Gem's. Your home Brooke, I internally remind myself. After digging around in my glove box to find the key, I slowly unlock the front door and step inside. Everything is basically as I remember it except that the furniture is covered in white sheets and everything has a layer of dust. Much of the months after my parents passed away is a blur but I remember the guys coming here to close the house and they must have covered the furniture.

In the corner of the room is a piece of furniture covered in the same white sheet as the rest. I make my way over and remove the cloth to reveal a lounge chair that is just as I remembered. When I was a little girl, my mother would read to me every night in this chair for hours at a time. As I stand there letting memories that had been lost for years flood into my mind, I feel a tear land on my neck and that is when I realized I was crying.

I hadn't really let myself cry since coming out of the initial fog of loosing my parents. I guess I just numbed myself to the pain of loosing them. But being back here and seeing their things is a lot all at once and as I sit down on that lounge chair I let out a flood of tears that had been dammed for too long. I sat there and cried, letting it all out until I was finished, no holding back. As I stand up to leave, I make a promise to myself that I would come back here regularly to start putting this place back together.

I hadn't realized how long I had spent at my parents house until I pulled into Gemma's driveway and took note of the bikes parked along it. Oh great, I'm late. Gem's gonna be in a mood now.
I walk in and the house is full and loud. I make a left into the kitchen to see Gemma working around the stove with a few Croweaters.

"Hey Gem. Sorry I'm late"

"Too hungover to make it here on time?" She asks with a raised eyebrow.

"No I was..." I trail off as Gemma orders a Croweater to grab something for her from the fridge. She clearly isn't in the mood for my excuse.

I turn and head back through the living room and see Jax sitting in the corner. I make brief eye contact with him as I pass through, but keep walking to my bedroom. I am wearing the same clothes as yesterday and despite my earlier shower, I feel disgusting.

"You've been crying." I hear from behind me. I turn to see Jax leaning against the door frame.

"What? No I..." again I am cut off.

"Your face is red and puffy and your eyes are more green than normal Darlin'. He pauses and steps into the room, shutting the door behind him. "Now, tell me why you were crying".

"It's no big deal. I just stopped by my parents place. Actually went inside this time..." I let myself trail off.

Jax comes closer, placing his hands around my bare stomach. "Wanna talk about it?"

"No, not really. I was supposed to help Gemma with dinner and now she's pissed. I should get back out there".

"When is she not worked up bout' something?" He asks with a smirk and pulls me into his lips. "I missed you the past few days" he whispers between kisses.

I pull away, "Yea, seems like it" I say as I turn my back to him and continue getting dressed.

"What's that suppose to mean?" He asks.

"You were gone for two days and you didn't text once. You didn't even say you were leaving." My back is still too him, making it easier to air my annoyances.

"Was on a run." I could almost hear him shrug.

"I know this. You could have at least told me you were leaving".

"Yeah. Okay." He pauses and I can feel him directly behind me. "You could have texted too ya know?"

I turn to talk to him face to face, "And seem like a nagging old lady? No thanks" I reply with an eye roll.

This makes him chuckle and he places a soft kiss on my lips, "We should get out there". I nod and follow him back into the living room.

Dinner goes smoothly despite Gemma barely acknowledging my presence. "I got it" I tell her about the dishes after dinner to gain some brownie points.

"Thanks" she says simply but gives me a smile.
Everyone is in the living room talking and laughing when I finish. I lean against the doorway and smile watching everyone. I really do love this family. It feels nice after my emotional breakdown earlier in the day.

I feel a presence next to me which breaks me out of my thoughts. Jax is standing there and grabs my hand, leading me back to the spot he previously occupied on the couch. He sits first pulling me into his lap and planting a kiss on my cheek. I can tell a look of surprise has taken over my face but as I feel his hand squeeze my thigh, my body begins to relax. I look around the room and see all eyes on us, specifically Gemma who has her classic raised eyebrow. Jax breaks the silence by continuing the conversation where it left off and everyone went back to talking and laughing.

Gemma continued to look at us with a raised eyebrow but I see a small smirk start on her lips. Well, that just happened I think. And I think we are going to be okay.