Darby

It was late, almost past midnight, when I heard my phone notify that I had received a text message.

Message from Juice appeared on my screen and I opened it: Just finished at the spot from earlier today. Thank you for your help with everything.

I smile at the message. Despite the minimal wording of the message I knew he meant that the guys had taken care of things at Darby's and that they were likely back safely at TM now. I am happy that he thought enough about me to text me that the job was done. Usually once my part of the job was finished, I never got updates on the outcome of the situation. Juice is already proving to be different though and I think there is more to that than being new. I know he feels the same connection that I do and I think that has more to do with why he sent me the message.

I decide to reply.

To Juice: Good and you're welcome. I am glad that you are safe. Good night Juice 😊

I wait a moment for a response and finally my phone pings.

Message from Juice: Goodnight Brooklyn.

It wasn't anything grand or special, but the simple conversation made butterflies in my stomach as I rolled over to go to sleep.

The next morning, I head to my favorite coffee shop before work. As I am waiting for my coffee, I feel the presence of someone standing behind me, to close to me for comfort. I have learned a lot over the years about personal protection, and because of that I always keep alert to my surroundings. I slowly turn around and look up to see Darby almost standing over me. Since we are in a very public place, I am not too worried about him doing anything to me but the proximity in which he is standing tells me that this meeting was not accidental.

"Mornin' Darby." I say choosing to stand my ground a bit. I had met him around town on a few occasions but never cared too much to speak more than greetings to him.

He leans in a little closer and whispers "I saw you the other day, pulling away from my street. Funny too cause' some of my guys say that they saw a car sitting out there for a few hours. Actually, it matched the description of your car. And then what do you know, a few hours later SAMCRO is busting down my doors".

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"I'm sure you don't. The thing is, I found you easy today too, so take this warning back to Clay; SOA backs off or maybe you'll be the one being watched." He reaches his tattooed arm up and brushes a piece of hair off my face, "Pretty little thing, aren't you?" he continues before he walks out of the shop.

My coffee order is called but I don't hear the barista the first time as my mind is slightly clouded by the interaction I just had. Darby wasn't particularly threatening to the club, more or less a joke, but I hate the way he had just invaded my personal space and it makes me want to vomit.

"Brooke" I hear the barista shout this time and I grab my coffee and exit the shop. I find myself looking down both sides of the street before getting into my car. I hated feeling like this. I hadn't really felt the need to watch my back since a few months after being kidnapped by the Mayans with Jax. After the initial trauma wore off, I was able to go back to life as normal. But today with Darby had me feeling like I was right back there, and I hated it.

I drive directly back to TM and park my car. It didn't seem like anyone was behind me on the drive here, which either means that his threat was idle, or he is too smart to follow me here. Shit. Everyone in town knows where my parents lived, where I currently live. The thought is unsettling as I exit my car and head into the TM office. Gemma is already here, and I hand her the coffee I had bought for her.