Chapter 19 - Damn It John

"I hate it to you, but according to Elijah, your family is not a founder of this town," Jenna sadistically comments to Damon while pouring some wine in his glass.

"Hmm. Do tell." Damon says rolling his eyes, unamused. He looks at me and stares me dead in the eye. I quietly laugh at him and kick him gently underneath the table as he turns to Elijah.

"Well, as I mentioned to Jenna earlier..." Elijah spoke, placing his fork and knife down, turned to Damon. "A faction of settlers migrated from Salem after the witch trials in the 1690s. Over the next hundred years, they developed this community where they could feel safe from the persecution."

"Because they were witches." Jenna leans over to me and whispers in my ear slightly giggling under her breath. I let out a forced laugh knowing that she doesn't believe it but in fact, it is true, just ask Bonnie. Jenna than continues to take another sip of wine.

"There's no tangible proof there were witches in Salem," Andy says, pretending to be a know-it-all. I roll my eyes.

"Right cause you know." I scoff, taking a sip of my coke, the appropriate substitution for wine, with a little something extra poured in by Damon. Andy rolls her eyes at me. "Andys a Journalist," I explain. "Big on facts." I exaggerate. Hinting at the fact that I am 100% making fun of her. Damon looks over at me and gives me a slight smirk as I grin.

"Well, the lore says that there was this wave of anti-witch hysteria." He says looking at me, before moving his gaze to Andy and Jenna, switching between the two of them. "Broke out in the neighboring settlement. So these witches were rounded up. They were tied to stakes in a field together and uh... burned." Elijah takes a sip of his wine. His words didn't sound like he is speaking from knowledge and what he has heard, but more like he is recounting what has happened. "Some even say you could hear the screams for miles as they were consumed by the fire." He says with a slight smirk.

"I. Uh. Wouldn't repeat this to the historical society." Jenna chuckles. With her wine in hand. I laugh alongside her. Andy almost lets out a forced laugh of sorts. I look at Damon raise my eyebrows at him smirking. I indicate towards Elijah and Andy and I roll my eyes at both of them. He doesn't respond. He instead turns around to properly face Elijah. Damon leans back in his chair,

"It's starting to sound a little like a ghost story to me," John says questioning Elijah, almost in an accusing tone while sliding around uncomfortably in his chair. Alaric stares at John, glaring at him slightly.

"Yes John, but let me remind you that, no one asked for your opinion," I say giving him a fake smile. Jenna lets out a loud laugh that she tries to turn into a muffled cough. Damon smirks at John as no one says anything to defend him. he continues to move around in his chair, not responding to my comment. It is silent for a couple of seconds before Damon continues to grill Elijah.

"So why do you wanna know the location of these alleged massacres?" Damon asks moving closer to Elijah, starting to lean on the table. Elijah bites his lip and lets out a frustrated sigh. He shakes his head slightly before looking at Damon.

"You know. Healthy historian's curiosity. Of course." Elijah gaze darts between each person sitting at the table. Damon remains to smirk at him, not removing his gaze.

"Of course," Damon smirks shaking his head in a sadistic manner. I shake my head and roll my eyes, laughing at his behavior. Elijah bites his lip again before everyone looks down and returns to their meal.

--

"Would anyone care for some cognac? I have a bottle I've been saving for ages?" Damon asks. Looking around the table.

"Yes please." I smile innocently.

"Good try." Jenna laughs as I slump back into my chair. Damon looks at me and winks, mouthing 'later'. I smile again as I pretend to be gloom.

"None for me thanks," Alaric answers not even looking at Damon, as he starts to stand. Alaric wiggles in his chair slightly. "Nine bottles of wine is my limit." Alaric jokes. I look at him and laugh, everyone lets out a slight chuckle. Damon smiles and turns around to go and fetch the bottle. Everyone starts to stand us Damon turns back around and gives a look to Andy indicating for her to do what he had asked of her before.

"The gentlemen should take their drinks in the study." Andy stutters, smiling over at Damon almost pleading for his approval through her eyes.

"I have to say the food was almost as wonderful as the company," Elijah says politely. Looking at Andy.

"I like you." She points at him, smiling. Elijah doesn't respond, he just follows after Damon into the study. John gets up to follow put Jenna stops him.

"You're not a gentleman. Make yourself useful. Hmm?" She says, holding out some dirty plates for him to carry. I laugh as I back away from the scene to follow after Damon and Elijah. As I turn around and walk away, my phone starts to ring. I look down and see Stefan's name flash on it. I squint at my phone, confused.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Amara? You need to tell Damon not to kill Elijah. John lied to him-" Stefan rambles.

"Wait, Stefan, slow down, what's wrong?" I interrupt.

"John lied to Damon, the dagger will kill Elijah, yes, but it will also kill Damon. Only a human can wield it without dying!" He rushes through the phone. "You need to stop him now." He says. I drop my phone on the floor.

"My a lady come in," I say poking my head around the corner. I watch as Damon drops the dagger back onto the table, as both of them look up at me. "Elijah, Andy wants you in the kitchen. She said something about dessert." I smiled. He nodded and came towards me.

"Thank you." He says nodding before walking past. I walk down to him as he flings his hands up in the air.

"What the hell was that for?" Damon complains. I point at the dagger. Knowing the Elijah could overhear I refrain from talking. I look around and spot some paper. I go over and write on it. 'The dagger will kill you.' I turn pointing at the sign showing it to him. His eyes widen as he clenches his jaw. "Damn it, John." He shakes his head. Turning his back to me.

--

1138 words.