Chapter 12 - Jealous

"What deal did you make with Elijah?" I hear a voice ring. I turn around to see Stefan at my bedroom door. Before answer I run to hug him, knowing that I am in my pj's. He hugs me back for a second before pushing me away. "What deal did you make?" I sigh and sit down on my bed.

"He promised me that he would keep everyone safe. Including my sister. I even negotiated your freedom from the tomb." I answered.

"What did you promise him?" He insists an answer. "What did you promise him?" He repeats.

"I promised that when the time shall come, and Klaus arrives in Mystic Falls. I would help draw him out of hiding, I would help Elijah kill him." I didn't look at Stefan knowing that he will definitely not approve.

"Amara, that's as bad as Elena's suicide mission. You can't trust him." Stefan says moving over to me. 

"Too late Stefan. I already made the deal." I look up at him. "I'm not backing out of it. It's a good deal, he keeps us safe, so we can help him kill his own brother. I think that we get more from this then he does. It's a bargain."

"A bargain that puts your life on the line!" He yells.

"He promised me I'd be fine." I retort.

"Doesn't mean it's true!" He answers. I don't reply to him. I have nothing else to say to him. He has to trust me.  He takes a seat next to me on my bed. "You can't do this." He mutters to me. "You could get hurt." I look at him with confusion.

"Why do you care so much, Stefan? You should be happy that I saved Elena from herself." I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Becuase all you did was trade Elena for yourself. I don't want you to get hurt as much as I don't want Elena to get hurt!" He yells.

"Why do you care?" I ask him.

"Because I care about you." He states. I stay quiet. I don't know how to follow that. "You are one of my best friends Amara. I can't lose you."  I still don't reply. I don't know what to say to him.

"Stefan, I care about you too, I also care about my sister. And I can't let her get herself killed. at least with my deal, I have a chance at surviving, her plan was to just get herself killed." I get quieter with my tone. A frown definitely evident on my face. "You have to trust me," I say grabbing his hands. He and I look at each other intently. "You have to believe I know what I'm doing," I ask of him. He doesn't respond. I hear the front door slam and just like that he is gone. 

--

Rock music blares from the cafeteria as I listen to the indistinct chatter coming from all of the tables. I see Matt leave the room and I follow after him, I could use some detox with my Mattu right now. I watch as he walks around the corner. 

"Caroline!" I watch him as he shouts down the corridor, before disappearing down it. Just as I turn the corner, I see him standing in front of the blonde. "Why?" He simply asks.

"Why what?" She acts dumb. I hate the wall she puts up when she likes a guy, it gets annoying.

"I kissed you." He states. I stop walking. Woah. Go Matty.

"I know. I was there." Caroline takes a nervous breath. Uh oh.

"So why did you run away," Matt asks. Double Uh oh. I grit my teeth together. I wanna walk, but I also don't wanna walk away. I want to make sure Matts alright.

"You caught me off guard." Caroline shakes her head, she looks away from Matt.

"Yeah,"

"What did you expect me to do?" She doesn't look him in the eye. That's always were she goes wrong, that is her give away. She can't look at the person she is lying too. I noticed it a couple of years ago.

"No that." He simply answers. I can tell he is starting to get annoyed at her. I understand, I mean one minute she is all over him, literally. The next she doesn't want to be near him.

"Well, I'm sorry." She looks at him, I can see on her face from here, that she doesn't really mean what she is saying, and that is pissing me off. 

"And..." He tries to get her to talk more. He wants answers.

"And what?" She sighs, shaking her head slightly. She gives a nervous chuckle. "What do you want me to say Matt?" 

"I don't know. Something, anything. how do you feel?" He asks, I can just hear it in his voice, how annoyed he is. "Anything in the realm of the truth would be nice."

"Okay. I feel..." She pauses, taking another breath. "Like I--" She stops again. "I love you." She answers.

"I love you?" Matt repeats. He doesn't seem phased. "Then what is the problem?" He asks. Caroline sighs and looks away from him again. "What are you keeping from me, Care?" She shakes her head. She doesn't want to tell him about her. She doesn't wanna lie to him anymore. "Look, if you love me, you'll tell me. So what is it?" He steps closer to her. I see a tear fall from her eyes.

"I'm jealous." She responds.

"Jealous. Care what do you have to be jealous of?" He gently grabs her arms. Wanting her to talk to him.

"I'm jealous... I'm jealous of how close you and Amara are." She speaks quickly, wanting to get it out of the way.

"What?" I speak out. Caroline and Matt both turn to look at me. "Are you serious?" I ask. walking over to them. Caroline doesn't say anything. "You've been toying with Matt this whole entire time, playing on his feelings, because your jealous of the fact that he is my best friend?" I cross my arms. Now I am seriously pissed. "If you had a problem with me, you bring it up with me. Why would you even say that? I have been encouraging you and Matt to just speak to each other since day one. I can see you both care about one another and you both want this relationship, and I've been trying to push you to together, And you think that I am getting in the way of this thing you two have going on!" I yell at her. She doesn't look at me, and Matt doesn't say a word. "If that is how you feel, I guess I'll just leave then. Have fun." I turn around and storm away. That girl really knows how to push my buttons.