Cuddle Monster

You and Axel just had one of the best dates you've both ever been on. The two of you had the entire day to yourselves and decided to spend it at the beach playing frisbee in the ocean, tanning on the beach while reading books, and eating as much sea salt ice cream that your stomachs could handle. After spending hours in the sun and walking around the boardwalk, the two of you drove back to your apartment to shower off the sand and settle in for the night. All you could think about on the drive home was how everything was absolutely perfect, and you didn't want this day to end.

It was getting close to 1:00am now; the two of you were both still cuddling on the couch watching TV, you laying down with your head on Axel's lap as his long fingers stroked your hair. A few minutes passed before your eyes grew heavy with sleep under the rhythmic motions of his hands, not even noticing that Axel was falling asleep on the couch as well. His head started to fall forward, quickly jerking up and realizing he was tipping over before stopping himself from crushing you. It was then he decided that moving to the bedroom would be best, and he turned off the TV before picking you up in his arms and carrying you to the bed. You stirred slightly in his arms, waking up just as he was setting you down on your bed and tucking you into the silky sheets.

"I'll be right back, babe," he whispered, kissing your cheek and walked out of the bedroom. Hearing the bathroom door close, you sat up and looked over the side of your bed to look for your stuffed German Shepard puppy. Feeling around the floor with your fingers, you finally located it hiding under the bed and pulled it out from underneath and gave it a hug. You didn't care how old you were: you needed your stuffed puppy with you every night to help you fall asleep. You've had Sparky since you were six years old. Back then, you took him everywhere you possibly could, and once you were too old to take him to school and the grocery store with your parents, you decided that sleeping with him was a much better option. Honestly, as silly as it sounded, you'd be a mess if you ever lost him.

The bathroom door opened back up. Axel padded over to the bed and got into a spooning position with you, snuggling his nose into the back of your neck and sending chills down your spine. He wrapped his arms around your torso, exhaling deeply as he allowed for sleep to take him over again. It took a moment for him to realize that something fuzzy was in your hands, making him sit up in confusion. "Uhh [Y/n], what is that?"

"Hmm? What's what, babe?" Your voice indicated that you were already half asleep once again.

"What's in your hands?"

"Ohhh... it's just Sparky. My stuffed puppy." Realizing this is the first time Axel noticed you slept with a stuffed animal, you felt your cheeks flush.

"I didn't know you slept with a stuffed animal," he said. "How am I only realizing this now?"

"Because you fall asleep before me and you sleep like a log," you laughed.

Axel laughed. "Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it's cute."

"Really? Not embarrassing or childish?" You shifted on the bed so you faced him.

"Mmmm nope. It's adorable. Just like you," he poked your nose, making you giggle. "How about we go back to the boardwalk tomorrow?"

"The boardwalk? Why there?"

"Because I'm going to win you another stuffed animal so you can sleep with that one too, of course!" His eyes were closed, too heavy to keep open anymore, but he gave you this big-toothed smile that made your heart sing for him.

"I like the sound of that," you whispered quietly before sleep finally claimed you.

"Goodnight, my cuddle monster."