Introduction

Tw: discussion of suicide

So this is a bit of new territory for me as I've never done a Mafia AU before.  But I'm excited to see how  I grow as a writer with this!  The other thing, I'm exploring some stuff that's slightly different from my previous stories.  People rightly focus on the victims of trauma and what they have to go through and that's not wrong but I wanted to explore what happens to the people who didn't directly experience the trauma but are still affected by it.  Sometimes, if you have to deal with the aftermath and the cleanup, the trauma you didn't directly experience still affects you.

The specifics of the trauma Y/N is affected by were inspired by two incidents that occured a couple years back while I was in college.  The first was the Steubenville case.  It was absolutely horrible and some small measure of justice (not enough) was only served after vigilantes got involved.  The second was the suicide of Amanda Todd, who was harassed and bullied by both a stalker and her fellow classmates.  This is not an attempt to sensationalize them but rather an attempt to draw attention to just how victims/survivors are made to feel and "change our conversation".  Because when someone is assaulted the first words out of our mouth should be "who's the motherfucker that did that?" not "why'd you let it happen?"  Like wtf?  No one asks that if your car is stolen or someone mugs you and takes your wallet.  This can destroy people's sense of identity at a fragile time in their lives and leave them scarred for life, have some compassion!

Consider that a warning if this is an (understandably) sensitive topic for you.  Might be best to skip this story then.

Another thing, the romance is a bit of a slow-burner.  This is also something new for me!  Still working on how it'll play out.  

As always, these stories are ways for me to work through my thoughts and emotions on various things so at times they will be pretty deep and dealing with sensitive topics.  If you just want fluff (nothing wrong with that) than I recommend skipping this story.

Now, with that being said, I hope you enjoy!  Feedback is always welcome.  This story will update Tuesdays and Wednesdays.