"Have to choose"

Coby opened the front door for Briggs. "You still aren't dressed? Do you understand how big this would be for us to sell a 1.5 million dollar home? I mean it would be a nice Christmas, and not to mention the attention this would attract. I'm talking buyers of all calibers would be lining up around the block."
Coby was in pajama pants and a T-shirt.

"I just finally got some real sleep. I have been sleeping with one eye open, I'm not exactly sure what the hell is going on with my wife. Coffee?" Coby pulled two coffee mugs down from the cabinet.

"Yeah thanks, man I guess I didn't realize things had gotten this bad, and now you're backtracking. I thought you were done with Shelia?"
They both spoke low. Coby handed Briggs a cup and they both sat at the counter.

"It's complicated. Shelia is just understanding and patient, this is my home away from home. Hey, look Briggs you don't get it." Coby took a sip of his coffee.

"So help me understand? I mean are
you able to work through this or do you need time off? I can handle things alone for a while. I want your head completely clear, I need you at one hundred and ten percent brother."

Briggs looked at Coby while he stared
blankly into space.

"I'm good. Briggs's time away from work is the last thing I need because it's my only real escape from everything. I'm not willing to give that up or this...or my family for that matter."
Coby took another sip. Briggs smiled weakly. Chewing on the corner of his bottom lip, he stuck his finger to his ear like he was cleaning it out .

"So what are you going to do? You can't have your cake and eat it too, you will have to choose eventually."

Coby rubbed the back of his neck frustrated.
"All my life people have chose what I should do. I have never had any say so over what I wanted. It was always here, pick this ball up, wear this tie, go to that school, date this chick, choose this career. So, because I was always an obedient and loyal son, friend and husband...I would do whatever people asked of me. Briggs from one friend to another it stops now."

Briggs stood up and put his hands in his pockets and chews on his bottom lip fiercely.

"So, so Coby what does this mean? Are you saying today you start living? Is this some type of mid life crisis? This isn't the time to be the seventeen year old son who finally stands up to his strict father, confesses he never wanted to take over the family business and runs off into the sunset with a girl he fell in love with. You don't live happily ever after.  You think no one is affected by the selfish decisions of the two young idiots at the end of those crappy chick flicks? This is real life, with real people involved. You don't just turn on your give a damn switch when you feel like it."

"Lower your voice." Coby is now standing a couple feet from Briggs. Briggs steps forward closing the gap.

"Can I count on you to close this deal Coby?"

"Have I ever let you down?" Coby was now staring directly into his eyes. Briggs smirked .

"What do you think?" Shelia entered the kitchen.

"Oh, hello Briggs, how are you?" Sheila smiled.

"He was just leaving ." Coby pulled Shelia close. Briggs nodded and left. "What was that about?" She wrapped her arms around his waist, he shrugged and leaned down to kiss her.

Coby falling apart ?

Comment and like !!!