Life is short

Diya attached the yellow bow to Ivory's ponytails. She swooped her edges, the. tied a scarf around them to hold them down until it was time for her birthday party. She was turning the big 5 today. So, Gam and Quakes were throwing her a cookout at the house. Diya had already promised she'd do her hair and pick out her outfit. Quakes was outside mowing the grass, while Gam slaved over the stove. Diya, Tate and Celest worked non stop setting up in the back yard.

"Thank you guys for helping me. I took on more than I could handled." Diya rested with her hand on her hips.

"Ivory is practically me and Tate's niece, so it's cool." Selest smiled setting up the table.

"Yeah, that's my brother daughter, but is this right? pink, silver, white?" He questioned about the decorations.

"Yes." Diya replied.

"How is she taking not being able to see her dad?" Celest asked.

"I haven't seen her much lately... I feel honestly scared to face her." Diya stuffed the candy in the Unicorn piñata.

"I shouldn't have even asked that sis, I'm sorry." Selest was apologetic.

"You didn't ask anything wrong, you are just showing concern. Truth is, it's getting harder to not be concerned." Diya stopped the task at hand.

"Bro will pull through," His tone hopeful.

"And if he doesn't?" Her eyes were sad. "I think we should just stop lying to ourselves and find away to deal with the worst case scenario-" Diya was cut off .

"Which is?" Tate was standing by her now.

"Ice may never wake up!" She shouted as the piñata fell to the ground.

"Of all people I wouldn't expect you to to say some stupid shit like that." Tate was upset.

"Tate, I love Ice just as much as you do," She told him.

"Psh, could of fooled me." Tate mocked her.

"It will be a month on Thursday Tate and he hasn't displayed any signs of waking up," She tried to reason.

"Diya are you a doctor?" He asked a rhetorical question.

"No, but,"

"Then I don't want to hear you speak on anything else pertaining to Ice." He walked into the house.

"Ugh! what did I say?" She searched her face for answers.

"Nothing we haven't all thought, but he's just not ready to let go. Deep down inside, somethings telling me you're not either."Selest kneeled down and started gathering the candy that spilled out of the piñata.

Later families started arriving to the party with their kids. Diya saw a lot of familiar faces from church. Ivory was beautiful in her custom made T-shirt, tutu and converse shoes. Quakes twirled her around in circles as she laughed with cake all over her face. Gam snapped pictures and for the first time in weeks she was truly happy.

The backyard gate opened and in walked Juju. She had a oversized unicorn in her arms. Shades bigger than her face, blonde hair and her cleavage was falling out of her top. People instantly began to whisper, but she showed no cares.

"Juju the gifts go over there on the pink table." Gam told her.

"Sorry I'm late, but I had some errands to run." She lied.

"Well, the party ends in 30 minutes, your errands couldn't have waited?" Gam rested her hands on her hips.

"Look, I'm here ain't I?" Juju rolled her eyes and marched over to the gift table .

Diya was throwing away paper to clear the table off when Juju slammed the unicorn on the table .

"Well, you and Ice finally stopped driving everyone insane and hooked up. Tell me, was he still able to go for rounds and rounds?" She looked towards the sky as if she was reminiscing.

"Hello Juju, so glad you could join us." Diya threw shots.

"Your stuck up ass probably never even let him smash." Juju looked Diyas body over.

Diya stood there not saying a word.

"Ooooh snap, he didn't fu-" She was cut off.

"-Juju enough! That is between Diya and her man. You need to be worrying about your child and not harassing her about what she does in her bedroom. Maybe if you had chose to wait, instead of spreading you legs to every Tom, Dick and Harry, you would understand. My grandson is laying in a hospital, fighting for his life and you worrying about who he laid down with. Grow up Juju." Gam scolded her.

"Whatever, let me go kiss my baby." She rolled her eyes and stormed off.

"Thanks Gam." Diya said .

"Child please, that damn heffa needs to find her some business and you need to stop letting her speak to you that way." Gam wiped off the table.

"I don't want to disrespect Ivory's mother." Diya admitted.

"Baby, it's not disrespectful when you are standing up for yourself. Juju has had it out for you since you was a little girl, because how my grandson feels about you. It's not your fault he loves you and it's not your fault you carry yourself like a woman. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand her life was different from yours and it's unfortunate. She just never even tried to change her life for the better, not even when Ivory came. That girl didn't even put up a fight when Emire demanded Ivory live with us and that's the part I can't forgive." Gam watched Ivory jump into her mother's arms.

"It's nice that you all never speak negatively of her around Ivory." Diya smiled.

"It's not our place, if she decides her mother isn't worthy of her love, it will be from her own beliefs." Gam sighed.

When the party was over Diya was in the kitchen helping Gam and Quakes clean up .

"I'm going to send a couple plates home for you and your parents." Gam was wrapping the plates in aluminum foil.

"Thank you, we appreciate it." Diya was washing the dishes.

"Diya, I'm actually happy that you are here,"
Gam set down at the dining room table.

"Next week... um the doctor said it might be best to start preparing to pull the plug." Gam avoided eye contact. " We wanted to involve you in this decision because, we consider you family." Quakes rested his hands on his mom shoulders.

Diya couldn't speak, she felt the words wanting to escape, but she was unable to release them.

"I'm not ready." She let the tears fall and Gam cried as well.

"None of us are, but Diya his brain has had little oxygen for too long and all of the medicine he's been receiving is only causing his body harm. He's only breathing because of the ventilator, but the moment they turn it off -" He looked down.

" -He will stop breathing completely." Diya finished for Quakes. He nodded.

"He will most likely be a vegetable if he was to wake up, he may never regain full consciousness." Quakes continued to talk.

"Thank you for the food, please give Ivory a kiss for me. I have to go." Diya grabbed the plates and dashed for the front door.

"Diya honey wait!" Gam yelled after her.

Diya hurried and hopped in her car and sped off . She was sure someone had knocked the life completely out of her, she was unable to catch her breath. What was life with him? She loved him so much that she could actually feel her heart hurting. He was her soulmate, and she was stupid to have waited so long to tell him. Life is short and that was never more clearer than this moment right now. Why would God even allow them a small piece of paradise, only to rip it from them?

Pray for Ice everyone 🙏🏽
Aww Diya 😢

Don't forget to Vote and comment !!
Please people you are all forgetting to vote and comment 😑

Enjoy reading ❤️