Chapter Fourty Five

--- Derek's POV ---

After Skylar explained what was going on, I undoubtedly didn't know how to respond. She was going through too much to ever fully comprehend in the short time we talked. She had this sad expression as she spoke, yet I could see she was struggling to tell me. She was having an internal battle with herself, and I couldn't blame her if she left any details out.

     As she told me of the snake I thought back to the times when I was younger. I had a fascination for many animals, a few reptiles and others. During fifth grade I had done a research project on reptiles, mostly snakes. I specifically recall stumbling on a bit of mythology. One of them being of a tale of a girl named Cassandra. If I remembered correctly, part of the tale told of a snake who had whispered in her ear.  

      This type of coincedence was quite decieveing. I couldn't tell if it was a coincidence or not. I looked at Skylar thoughtfully, making sure she knew I was listening and taking in all this information. I couldn't imagine having to go through all these wormholes, sucking you in, never able to have a definate answer to the many questions that seemed to not have a means to an end.

    I just wanted to hold her, to comfort her. Even though that wouldn't accommodate the type of person everyone might have thought I was. I had once been a naive teenager, trying to protect everyone I cared for. After my family was ripped off the face of the earth there wasn't any going back. I knew it was my fault in a way, no matter how much I wish it wasn't.

   I shouldn't have let Kate get close to me, I knew what was ay stake. She was a hunter, her whole family was full of them; they were relentless, wanting to get our kind extinct. They had a code, a code that many wouldn't even follow.

    I had only shown Sklyar a bit of who I truly was, which I had never let anyone else see. I trusted her more than I should, I've been let down too many times to ever trust again. Even knowing this, I couldn't help but trust her; I should know better then to let my emotions get the best of me.

    "Sky, it's okay. We'll figure this out." I reassured, using the nickname I had grown fond of. It wasn't just creating a shorter alternative to her name, it was something more. I didn't call her Sky because anyone else might, I called her Sky because it was the only way I could show that I cared for her. It was hard to ever express emotion and I usually ruled against it. The hard exterior I always held up was there for a reason.

Then her eyes showed pain and she crumpled to her knees, "Derek." She whispered before she rendered unconscious. I held onto her before her head his the floor. I was worried and I couldn't hear her heart beating, but it wasn't because her heart had stopped.

    I was losing my abilities, so instead of listening for her heartbeat I placed two fingers on the side of her neck checking for a pulse. Her heartbeat was weak but it was there, and it was quickly escalating.

   Only a few seconds passed before Skylar inhaled sharply. Her eyes started to glow purple for a few seconds and then returned to their usual dark shade of maroon. She looked up at me and quickly stood up enough to embrace me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her confused at her sudden movements.

   "I was dying." She said with a worried expression, "I heard what happened. I had this..memory?

My parents got Kali to give me the bite because I was going to die." She took in a breath, seeming as if she couldn't understand what had happened herself. I remained with her, my arms hung loosely around her waist. I wanted to comfort her, but I didn't know how. I had spent years isolating myself, mostly before I came back to Beacon Hills.

   She let go of me but didn't make an atempt to move off my lap, instead leaning her head against me. She looked towards the window in deep thought, "I had some form of leukemia when I was twelve. The treatment had progressed but the cancer kept spreading, there wasn't much they could do before death came knocking on my door."

<><>< ><><><><><><

(A/N)

Its Skylar's Birthday today! October 8th you might want to know this because in a way it'll sort of come up. Although in the story its not October eighth yet because of the teen wolf calendar. So I decided to update again because of her birthday lol.