Chapter Twenty One: Misconceptions

So many questions and thoughts were still racing through my mind- sleeping in Daniel's hotel room momentarily put my fragile body at peace for a few hours- that was before I awoke to several text messages from Jones asking where I was, and then the realisation hitting me that I had asked...and then slept in Daniel Ricciardo's room. I could certainly be sacked if anyone found out.

I skipped breakfast on the Monday, making an excuse to Daniel that I wasn't feeling too well. He had insisted that I slept on his bed whilst he kipped on the fold out sofa bed, I refused to begin with, but my protest wasn't getting me anywhere. In the end I did as he instructed and considering my situation, fell into the deepest sleep that I'd had in a long while.

Stirring at midday on the Monday, I had an enormous task of paper work to sort my way though, Daniel was already up and dressed much to my embarrassment.

In the warm Spanish temperatures I had kicked off the quilt in the night and my top had risen up a hell of a lot- not exactly leaving much to the imagination.

Daniel asked if I was alright and I politely told him that he'd probably find out soon enough, meaning that I didn't want to tell him just yet and albeit our closeness in the past few weeks, I didn't want to bore him with stuff that wasn't a necessity. Strictly professional, remember Saskia...

I finished off the hundreds of phone calls and journeyed back to the UK- seeing my parents for a day before getting the train back to London and then to Milton Keynes where I had two excruciatingly long office days to complete, making sure my diary was up to date and what not.

So, ten days on, it was the Wednesday evening in Monaco and for a rarity, the management team including Lizzie and I were relaxing on our hotel balcony in the Mediterranean sun, and once again I was extremely confused.

A bead of sweat trickled down my face as Lizzie and I were immersed in our latest heart to heart." I spoke to Olly." Lizzie continued, referring to the Sam situation.

"Hmm." I replied, fanning myself with my schedule that I was memorizing.

"He was confused, really confused and asked to take my temperature."

"He doesn't exactly know that I saw. Fucking hell, I need to speak to him." I did have to admit, I was horrible for leaving him in the dark. I felt bloody awful for it but I needed time and space and to get around the facts of what had happened. Was he just drunk? Was it for attention? - I had been super busy. Or, or had he genuinely meant his actions?

"Do you want me to go, so you can?"

"I wouldn't know what to say, I can't say I've ever faced this dilemma before."

"I am super glad that I'm not you right now." She put her arm round me and pulled me in for a hug.

"I wouldn't, I'm a bit uh sweaty." I laughed.

"Lovely Saskia- thank you for sharing. Now pass me your phone, we need to sort this mess out because I know someone who is waiting to make a move." She grinned at me and I stared back at her not having the slightest clue about what she meant. Was I really ready to give up all my feelings that I had accumulated for Sam just yet?

---

"That's a nice bike you have there Mr Ricciardo." I remarked, meeting up with the Australian an hour or so later. I prayed that my sentence hadn't come across as a euphemism.  Leaving Lizzie to shower, I quickly changed into shorts and a vest top. I hadn't intentionally meant to run into Daniel that evening, but I had to drop something trackside and he was there. With his bikes.

"Fancy coming for a ride?" he asked, looking up.

I looked at the road bike that was propped next to him, apprehensive to say the least but went for it. What could possibly go wrong...other than ending up in hospital, with three broken limbs...