Chapter Fifty One: Blame

It wasn't okay. It was far from it.

I walked into the hotel lobby as calmly as possible, not being able to meet the man who edged closer to me's gaze. I could not lose him.

He attempted to lace his fingers with mine but my hand was shut tight, ridged- a bit like a block of ice. Even though it was some stupid temperature outside.

"Ah funny one, you had me there!" Daniel spoke as a last ditch attempt to diffuse what he was guessing.

I finally managed to shake my head and cling onto the bag that had dropped from my grasp just seconds beforehand.

"I'm not joking." I murmured as we stepped into the lift. In theory I should have told him when we were nearer the top, not barely off of the ground floor.

"Sure you are, I mean Christian yes, but you, no..." His arms were folded and he was still trying not to smirk.

"Daniel, I'm not pulling your leg. I would love to be but..." Slowly I tore my head up from where I had been staring at my feet. I caught a glimpse of Daniel's reflection in the mirror, and saw that the smile had been wiped clean from his face.

"Sorry?" Was all he could manage.

I couldn't reply.

"When? Is this how you got the job...jobs." Still even pitched, his tone wasn't particularly forceful, more inquisitive. I don't supposed he realised that it happened four weeks ago.

"No it's not. I am going to make a coffee when I get in. Would you like one?"

"If I get to know what is going on, yes." Now he nodded and looked away.

---

Paul was crashed on the sofa, visibly struggling to keep his eyes open. Still he was grinning, obviously far too pleased with himself that he had diffused the key card situation all on his own.

I walked over to near where he was sitting and flicked the kettle on as the two Australians immersed in what could only be described as lad talk. Thankfully, Paul had suddenly perked up after our run in.

I stared at the water shaking around the kettle to signify that it was almost at boiling point. My insides sure felt like one of the tiny H2O particles.

"Did you get them?" Paul said, leaning on the back of the single desk chair. My eyes soon switched location as I eyed Daniel making his way into the bathroom.

"Yeah, got them." Then gesturing to the white carrier bag, I managed to find two clean cups within the room. As usual it was a state.

"Sweet, cheers." He grinned, the glint in his eye was making a comeback. "Uh you okay, not feeling like you're going to collapse?"

"Yeah, I'm alright...you'd better go and see Lizzie before she's asleep...or drunk-"

"Or both." he finished off for me and half attempted to give me a pat on my shoulder.

He then grabbed the bag, and an apple from the fruit bowl. "I'll you see later! Dan, the vitamin tabs are on the table."

"You haven't got any spare for me?" I muttered just a touch too loudly.

Paul laughed and smirked before nodding. Momentarily I was distracted and hoped that at least Lizzie and Paul could at least sort things out.

One quick glance of my watch revealed it to be half past eleven- usually I would think about bedding down for the night, but in Singapore the drivers operated on European times. This meant that they would get some shut eye at four a.m. and awake at around the afternoon mark on Sunday.