Through Love, War, and Back Again (Part 2)

After that day at the coffee shop, Loki and Isla talked or met everyday. The shared feelings between Loki and Isla blossomed into a relationship, and Isla couldn't think of a happier way to spend her free time than just being with Loki.
To say that Loki had changed would be a stretch, but there were some things that were different since he and Isla started dating. He began to want to tell Isla things about himself, and worse, felt that he should tell her those things. Glancing at her, he felt that he should tell her who he was now in case she didn't handle it well. He thought that it would hurt less now if she rejected him than later.
As they walked through the park, hand in hand, Loki summoned all of the courage within him and began speaking.
"Isla, I need to tell you something, and I don't know how you'll take it but.. it has to be said."
Isla looked concernedly up at Loki and held his hand a little tighter. "What is it, Loki?"
Loki took a deep breath before saying, "When I told you I wasn't from New York, I wasn't lying but I didn't tell you the whole truth. I'm not from this planet- I'm from a place called Asgard where my brother, Thor, and I are heirs to the throne. Thor is the god of thunder and lightning, and I am the god of mischief." He paused and looked over at Isla's face, waiting for her reaction. She seemed to be taking it well.
"I knew there was something different about you since the moment we met." Her voice was soft and her words encouraged him to tell her more.
"My adoptive father, Odin, holds the throne of Asgard. He 'rescued' me when I was a baby from my birthplace, Jotunheim, where I was to be rightful king. The people of Jotunheim are... frost giants, and I am one as well."
Isla was silent for a long time, and Loki was afraid of what might be running through her mind. Then at last she peered up at Loki and said, "I'm sorry, it's just a lot to process-"
She suddenly stopped walking and Loki turned anxiously to look at her.
She looked him over from his toes to his head and said confusedly, "You don't look like a giant."
Despite himself, Loki laughed. "I'm on the smaller side, but I assure you that I am a frost giant."
Isla thought herself crazy as she said softly, "I'm glad you're smaller. I can still do this." And she reached up on the tips of her toes and kissed him quickly and sweetly. The kiss may not have been long, but it was Isla's way of telling him that she liked Loki for himself, and that what he was wouldn't be an issue for her.
They continued their walk through the park, remaining hand in hand.
Loki interrupted the peaceful silence after a few minutes to say, "There's something else I'd like to tell you. I never quite felt good enough for Odin. In fact, I felt rather inferior anytime Thor was around. Everyone favored Thor out of the two of us, and I was always cast in his shadow. And when I learned of my Jotun lineage, I.. well, I felt like a monster. I was filled with anger and despair, not knowing who I really was. And.. I've done a lot of things that I shouldn't have."
After a long pause, Loki continued, "I apologize, that was-"
"Something that I'm really glad you shared with me." Isla cut him off, giving him a soft smile.
"You are?" Isla kept surprising Loki, and in the best possible ways.
"Yes, I am. You were genuine and honest so thank you. As for the things you shouldn't have done, I don't want to know a thing about them, because no one should define themselves by what they've done in the past."
Relief filled Loki at Isla's words, yet deep down he knew that she wouldn't say that if she knew what he'd done.
Loki pulled Isla into an embrace and held her while whispering into her ear, "Thank you."
Isla rubbed his back in a comforting way and Loki closed his eyes, wanting to remember everything about this moment: Isla's closeness, the things she made him feel, the understanding and compassion he had longed for..
Loki savored the moment while he could, not wanting to dwell on his knowledge that it couldn't and wouldn't last.